Cable/Pulley Retainer for Grandfather Clocks

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
Cables can be a MESS when unwound from the drum and loose, agreed? I think everyone agrees on this.

I've been working on a Herschedes hall clock movement for the last few months, correcting and repairing things that went wrong, and things that were helped along that way. In Conover's book on Herschede Tubular Bell Clocks, he shows some pictures of some blocks shipped with the clock that retain the cables tight against the drum along with the pulleys. This is my own version, made from some buff sticks, knurled nuts from the Hillman boxes at Ace, and 10-32 threaded bolts. I think there is no need for explanation of how it is made. It worked quite well on the clock.

I put the clamp over the cables a little loose, and crank the time weight up, till it lodges up against the seat board, then the chime weight is brought up, guiding the pulley into the space between the boards, and make it snug against the seat board. Then the strike is also brought up and the same done to it. The weights are then unhooked.

When the customer gets it home (they know how to install it correctly in the case), I told them to re-install the weights and run the clock, removing the clamp after a few hours. Simple to make, saves tangled cables and keeps the correctly wound cable on the drum so no tangles there. Thanks for checking this out..........................gary

View from the front:

Resized952021072195104006.jpg

Up against the seat board, chime and time side, pulleys tight against the sides of the clamp:
Resized952021072195104854.jpg
View of the rear of the clamp:
Resized952021072195104021.jpg

Addendum: I posted the pictures, with the front and rear view of the clamp, then the picture of the clamp against the underside of the seat board. In posting this, accidentally mind you, somehow they got reversed. Oh well......

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
Country
Region
Thanks Thomas. I leave it with the customer, at least in this case. They live a little ways from me. It costs less than $3.00, just a little time to make it. Thanks again!.................gary

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Willie had the idea of using swim noodles, cut to length and split to accomplish the same thing. I have started doing that too. It works well, and is cheap and easy to get.

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
Country
Region
Willie had the idea of using swim noodles, cut to length and split to accomplish the same thing. I have started doing that too. It works well, and is cheap and easy to get.
Could you refer me to that post Shutt? I'd like to see what he did, or how you do it. Thanks!.................gary

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Criseldis