c1760-1780 Canton Bracket Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by pdf180, Oct 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
    Dear All,

I am posting here pictures of my latest Mahogany bracket clock, prior to restoration. I date it to c1760-1780, made in Canton. I hope you will agree that it is a magical piece. Obviously, it has some things to do on it, besides an overhaul of the movement such as: new top handle, side glass, finials, replacing silk, but nothing too major. I especially like the sides and the painted dial backing depicting Europeans in an Oriental landscape. Lovely engraved back too. Will post pics of the very dirty movement later. Enjoy.
    cant 1.jpg clock 3.jpg

2. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
    clock 2.jpg cant 2.jpg clock 7.jpg clock 6.jpg A few more pics.

Love clocks and Kevin W. like this.
  3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    is it missing an automaton?

4. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
    I suspect possibly, though there is some mechanical work present.

5. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
    clk 2.jpg clk 3.jpg clk 4.jpg one suspects it needs a clean...

Kevin W. likes this.
  6. NigelW

NigelW Registered User

Jan 2, 2015
    London
    Country Flag:
    Very nice indeed. What indicates that it was made in Canton?

7. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
    The straight pillars, the fret brass work on the side frets, the painting which is very similar (undoubtedly same workshop) to a clock I saw a while ago, listed as c1750, Canton. But of course that attribution by an auctioneer might have been wrong. Also the hand(s).

8. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
  9. NigelW

NigelW Registered User

Jan 2, 2015
    London
    Country Flag:
    How interesting. Copying European manufactured goods and exporting them back to us is not a new thing then!

10. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
    Yes, it is all fascinating. Can't wait to get it running.

11. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think they copied that idea too. The swiss were copying English watches to export to England. Earlier the English and Dutch were copying Chinese ceramics to sell throughout Europe, while the gentry were ordering their dinner services in China because they were cheaper than Staffordshire even if the lead time might be a year.

The joke is that now the Swiss complain about fakes.

Jim DuBois and NigelW like this.
  12. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I think these auctioneers are taking liberties with the dating of the Chinese clocks.

Ralph

13. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    It seems that the Chinese got into clock making as a necessity, as they needed to repair and maintain the clocks being brought in as tributes to the Emperor. clockmaking was taught by the Jesuit missions. There are a few Chinese made bracket clocks in the Forbidden Palace exhibit in Beijing if you ever go there. The thing I remember most distinctly about them were the worm like signatures on the backplate - like someone was copying without understanding what they were copying.

I don’t think many, if any, of these were made for export.

As an aside, when I visited the Forbidden Palace exhibit, I had a student with me as a guide. He asked me if I had any clocks. I showed him some photos, and he asked how old they were. When I told him, he said he didn’t think Chinese culture had made it so successfully to the west in the 1700s..... He thought that the bracket clock was a Chinese style, and I had to point out the labels on the exhibits to explain that clockmaking came to China from the west...

14. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I don't have anything specific to add with regards to the type of clocks that are being discussed here.

I would suspect that there might be characteristics of the movement suggesting if it is of Chinese origin. Some of the Chinese metals and alloys are different than those used in the West, too. Furthermore, the case woods might also reveal clues. There were certain primary and secondary woods characteristic of Chinese furniture that were not generally used in the West.

The discussion of this clock is actually but a small piece of a much larger and fascinating topic. Clocks possibly aside, it would ABSOLUTELY NOT be at all unusual for furniture, paintings, silver, etc in the Western style to be made in China during the 18th and 19th century and exported back to the West. For example, check this out:

Washington by Spoilum 2.PNG

If you said it must be American, you would be wrong. It's an oil painting made for the American market by the Chinese artist Spoilum based upon a British print based upon theTrumbull painting!! Ha!

See Carl Crossman's "The Decorative Arts of the China Trade" for much more about this.

Less expensive labor and production in China producing goods for export to the West is most certainly not a late 20th - early 21st century phenomenon. Neither is the tendency towards copying.

Also, Chinese decorative arts exerted quite an influence on Western Design. "Chinese" Chippendale?? Ever wonder where all those ball and claw feet came from? They started as dragons clutching pearls in their talons!

RM

15. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
    It is indeed the tip of the iceberg of a very interesting discourse concerning cross-cultural and intellectual exchange between East and West which spans everything from cultural deference to cultural nationalism - and is too often over simplified. I agree about the woods and alloys used being often different, and would add to that the finishes, the joint pegging on cases etc. I imagine differences in tools might also account for different construction techniques etc. Unfortunately, there appear to be so few of the type of clocks we are discussing - at least those accessible to be comparable - that drawing any firm conclusions is impossible. Dating, of course being one of the points at issue. My personal feeling, being based in Asia, is that imitative styles (for example this arch top bracket clock, the movement etc.) is often 20 or so years behind the stylistic trends. Thus, I do share some of Ralph's concerns about dating, but taken as a whole -which I think one must do- a late 18th century date is likely to be nearest the mark. I also second what Zedric says about the engraving on the back of Chinese bracket clocks, generally having a cartouche with some form of gibberish scrawled to mimic Western writing. The engraving also tens to have an different aesthetic flavour. The clock in this post, however, doesn't have that scrawl, and is much more aesthetically similar to European esp. English clocks of the period. So my interpretation of the clock, and that's what we are basically doing -giving informed interpretations- is very much tentative. I want to resolve the whole in the dial surround too.

16. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A good example worthy of restoration. Some more thoughts regarding the dating of this clock:
    The earliest English examples of this style case probably date to c. 1790. The style of this case didn't become widespread until after the turn of the 19th c. in England. To find a verge fusee movement in a break arch, or pad top, case would be far less common than the anchor movements used after 1800. So, the Chinese clock would almost certainly be 19th century.
    Here's one of my clocks, anon. maker. Date? 1810-1820?

Anon. break arch case with bracket 001.JPG Anon. break arch case with bracket 002.JPG Anon. break arch case with bracket 004.JPG Anon. break arch case with bracket 005.JPG Anon. break arch case with bracket 006.JPG Anon. break arch case with bracket 007.JPG

DeanT likes this.
  17. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A very interesting clock especially what is missing in the arch that used the hole there. The back cock looks rather ill at ease with the back plate. If you google Chinese automaton bracket clock you'll be taken aback by what one sold for.

That's a nice one Chris.

18. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    A few of the fancy, jewelled ones have sold in recent years. In the same google search you’ll find a New York Times article questioning the authenticity of some of these..

19. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just glanced at Deryck Roberts' "The Bracket Clock" to check my dating. I found this style of shallow break arch case was completely ignored, but no doubt it was popular and still sought after today by collectors. I found that Roberts' dating is probably a bit off. The book is from 1982. Roberts dating I think we would find (in general) a bit too early from what we know today. My clock could date before 1810, but I think after this clock which is dated 1803:
    Dating Thwaites movement serial numbers?

It would make sense the clocks with the inaccurate script would stay in China, where the writing would less likely be questioned. Whereas an English speaking person would have no idea what the writing would mean, although the engraved script would have been imitating English. Does that make sense? So, the Chinese were faking to their own market.

20. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
    Thanks for that input. Certainly I agree with the dating of the English example you give. The arrangement of the sides, on the Chinese example, however, leads me to conclude last quarter of 18th century or around 1800 at the latest. The bob pendulum is also of some interest - not as straight forward as it looks - I'll post a picture of that later tonight. Also, a half pillar by which I mean semi-circular, to incorporate the main spring.

21. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
    Good point - so the Chinese export notion for this kind of clock, in the period we are talking about is highly questionable. Yet the back plate of my example looks very much more Western than the examples with the scrawl.

22. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
    So what was the Roberts dating that is a 'bit off'? I have seen agreeable examples from early 1780s.

23. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think his dating of break arch, and full arch case styles are 5-10 years too early. Except maybe for the earliest prototypes. It's bordering on splitting hairs, but nonetheless.....

24. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
    cc.jpg Perhaps this helps to resolve some of the questions. I took the dial plate off in an effort - prior to full professional overhauling - to resolve the aperture on the dial surround noted earlier in the discussion. Clearly there have been some historically crude repairs. Is this suggesting the speculated automata element? Thoughts and comments greatly appreciated. Might help us with the dating etc too.

25. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I would suggest it was effectively a mock pendulum. Maybe a paste stone or shiny disk moving back and forth behind the aperture.

Ralph

26. pdf180

pdf180 Registered User

Jun 18, 2009
    Seems reasonable conclusion. Certainly no automation elements that I can see. Any further thoughts on dating?