C & N Jerome Roller Pinion A Frame Movement Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Jim DuBois, Jun 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since I don't have enough projects (HA!) here is another I got this AM. The movement is by Joseph Ives, he and Jerome had some common interests circa 1832-1836 with Nobel Jerome being employed by Ives as early as 1816. There are examples of this movement with both Ives and Jerome labels, and there are examples of C & N Jeromes' rack & snail striking movement in cases with Ives labels. There are also examples of these two movements in cases where one claims "roller pinions" yet have none. Others exist with "repeating strike" labels yet has the Ives count wheel movements. They did a lot of mix and matching and didn't have a robust control of their products or assembly processes. But, it makes for interesting discussions and further research. This one came out of Horton's recent auction but its buyer discovered it looked better in photos than in person, so it came my way.

20190601_111458 (2).jpg 20190601_111525.jpg 20190601_111444.jpg

2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #2 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Another nice find!

For chuckles and to see the movement, see:

http://hortonclocks.com/Completed_auctions/2019/Jan19/jan19_all_9/jan2019-453a.jpg

RM

3. Jim DuBois

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RM,
    There is a certain amount of poetic license in a number of the write ups in that auction. I found the following to be of interest in relation to this clock "The wood dial is almost too perfect on the front but has had additions or rearranging of slats on the back, and some extra holes. The two painted tablets by Tom Moberg are copies of originals."

The dial is a repaint and not a very good one. And I have to ask how many original glasses have you seen as the ones in this clock? Those glasses tend to strike me like Hull glasses in a banjo. But it is now mine, so we will have to extol its virtues and claim it as a perfect all original completely restored example

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Horton is then the absolute poet laureate of that type of thing based upon many examples.

Guess I didn't edit my reply quickly enough? Sorry.

RM

5. Jim DuBois

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think I read that this was the last Horton auction under his leadership. I also heard his #2 person would continue subsequent auctions in the same fashion. Overall, it looks like a lot of work to do these, I would hate to have to handle even a small percentage of those sold in this last auction, much less receive, evaluate, categorize, set a price range, write a description, set up a website and catalog, advertise, run the auction, collect the funds, handle the outflow of clocks, on and on. That said, a bit less optimistic descriptions would be nice. Accurate descriptions would be even better. I didn't attempt to total the sales and calculate his commissions, but I don't think I would want to run the auction for whatever that amount was.

clocks4u likes this.