C H Meylan Pocket Watch. Looking for help

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Scott Zarzycki, Apr 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scott Zarzycki

Scott Zarzycki New Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I recently purchased a Pocket Watch off of an auction website. I am new to Pocket Watch collecting but have always loved them since watching my Grandpa pull his out of his pocket as a child. This Pocket Watch I bought says C H Meylan with Switzerland underneath the name on the face. On the back it has Albert Hanse Seattle engraved on the back. Also says 6 adjustments 17 jewels on the back. Serial number 23062 and also has a cros with 31609 in an arch over the cross and just above that C H Meylan. It is missing the second hand and the winding bezel on top. I would love to have this watch restored but have no idea where to start so would love some advice as I would like to pass this to my son and Grandson some day.

4DB276DC-2736-41FF-A780-81CD957F339E.jpeg 637A6A3E-C57D-4E59-9B24-09F46B7F7D4B.jpeg 77AC227A-CBDB-42C5-9522-318676B364D1.jpeg

Laser likes this.
  2. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Scott, please post a photo of the entire movement. I maintain a database on C.H. Meylan pocket watches. With a photo of the entire movement, I will be able to identify its type under the classification system I have created for identifying Meylans.

As for restoring the watch, if it is in good running order, it should be a relatively easy project. Unless you are an expert watchmaker, you will need to hire one to service the movement and install it in the case you get for it (have the watchmaker determine what size case you need and confirm that it is a standard US size). The watchmaker can likely supply appropriate hands and a crown. However, after all this is done, the watch won't be original and the cost of the case, hands, crown, assembly, and servicing likely will exceed the value of the restored watch. If the watch isn't in good running order, the cost of restoring it may be prohibitive.

If you want a C.H. Meylan, you probably would be much better off buying one that is in good working order, in its original case, which will almost certainly be solid gold or platinum, with its original hands, etc.

3. Scott Zarzycki

Apr 3, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I have actually looked at your serial number data base and it is a great resource. I have been puzzled by the Albert Hansen Seattle engraving. I found an Albert Hansen was a premier jeweler of the early 1900’s in Seattle so I’m guessing that maybe he got the movement from Meylan and finished the watch himself. Does that make sense? Is this Watch I have worth anything? It feels really heavy for a Watch it’s size and appears to be a really well made piece. Thanks again.

5E6A082A-4A7F-4EF1-AF77-2A9F06026B8A.jpeg

4. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your watch is what is called a "private label". For a small fee (or sometimes no extra fee if a small quantity was ordered) any retail jeweler could order movements with his name and location on either the dial, the movement or both. The retailer did not have to do any finishing, the manufacturer did it all for him. Private labeling was a very common practice and both American and Swiss manufacturers participated.

Scott Zarzycki likes this.
  5. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the board, Scott :)

The one thing Ethan forgot to say was that C H Meylan are considered to be a very fine watchmaker.

The cross and number you mention are a reference to the Swiss patent #31609, submitted in August 1904 by Chaarles Henri Meylan and granted in April 1905, for a "New mechanism for reassembly and negative time setting" (that's a literal translation of the original French " Nouveau mécanisme de remontage et de mise à l'heure négative"). I'm not sure exactly what that means, but whatever it is is fitted in your watch!

6. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Somerset, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    According to Dictionnaire professionnel illustré de l'horlogerie - an invaluable resource which I visit frequently so I can comprehend the (for me) incomprehensible:

“Mise à l'heure négative”

= Negative hand setting.

"This system, used in America, has the advantage of making the movement independent of the case, for the winding-stem can take up two positions m the clamp is screwed inside the pendant sleeve t.
    "According to its position in the sleeve, the square of the winding-stem brings the castle-wheel into the “wind” or “set” position. The movement can be taken out of the case without removing the stem and its clamp".

upload_2018-4-3_21-45-25.png

(For what it is worth, C H Meylan figures in the lists of outworkers and sub-contractors working for Louis Audemars beforethe 1885 bankruptcy).

Paul
    www.audemars.co.uk

7. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would have thought remontage was "winding" rather than reassembly.

8. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Somerset, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is, but if I understand correctly, this winding/setting arrangement allows for easier reassembly of the movement in the case.
    P

9. Scott Zarzycki

Apr 3, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the replies. I know it’s been a while but here is the photos of the movement. I truly appreciate all of the help

EA014A6D-533C-4EC5-AA56-410569A78BEF.jpeg

10. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for posting a better photo. In my CH. Meylan classification system, your movement is a Type C2, one of the commonest types.