C. 1925 Lady Elgin Wristwatch Band

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by James A Ryan, Nov 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. James A Ryan

James A Ryan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Hi. I am fairly new to the NAWCC and this is my first post, so bear with me. I recently discovered that I had a Lady Elgin 14k Art Deco wristwatch (size 10/0) case when going through some old jewelry. It’s just the case. I am interested in restoring it and I was wondering what sort of movement and band would be appropriate.

2. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We need to see pictures of the case to make suggestions.

3. James A Ryan

NAWCC Member

Dec 3, 2018
    #3 James A Ryan, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019

Sorry that would probably be helpful (didn’t have it with me when I posted the original comment). Here is a picture. On a side note, is there any way to definitively date the case? Everything I've read says serial numbers are basically worthless. For what it's worth, the number on this case is 335804.

09E19188-41CF-4B12-9BAB-67E278069E0A.jpeg

4. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would say time period would be late 20s to early 30s based on the art deco look. Probably originally took a one piece strap that went through the loops and under the movement. You can probably still find straps they just have to be the right width and thickness. You will need a movement, stem and crown and maybe a case tube on this one and that crystal has to go as it is yellowed and likely will be gassing and destroy the next movement. a measurement across the front will give us a better idea what size fits and a look inside the case would also be helpful.

5. James A Ryan

NAWCC Member

Dec 3, 2018

Attached. The markings on the pic are cm, and the watch measures ~2.5cm across. The marking on the inside of the case are:
    Elgin Giant
    Watch Case Co
    10/0

19FBC284-B504-43BE-BB5D-BD5D6EB00CC7.JPG BF110184-C07A-41CA-8403-620D94E26B65.JPG

6. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the forum!

That probably had a grade 444 "Lady Elgin" 10/0 movement, or similar, in it. I would agree with your guess about the date, probably 1921-25ish. It would be fairly straightforward to find a movement/dial/hands for this watch and have it serviced. It would be a lovely watch for daily use.

7. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    For the strap, you could have a look at old period advertisements. It probably was a delicate looking black fabric/ribbon, one or two piece.

8. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is a page from the 1924 C.B.Norton wholesale jewelry catalog. I believe it shows your case ... maybe slightly different engraving. You can see the gros-grain ribbon strap and typical buckle used on these watches. The available movements are also shown along with some dial choices.
    1924_ladies ww.jpg 1924_ladies ww_dt1.jpg 1924_ladies 10-0mvt.jpg

viclip and Tomxhar like this.
  9. James A Ryan

NAWCC Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Wow thanks! That is incredibly helpful. I am actually looking at a movement which is pretty much exactly in these specs. It’s great to see the original ad.

JJ