c.1890s Marti crystal regulator clock

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
I had it serviced because it would just stop running. Clock repair man said he didn't need to take the movement out. He adjusted the escapement new suspension spring and oiled the movement. Said it ran for a week just fine. When I came home it ran for an hour then stopped, I remembered he said the washers on the hands can not have too much pressure on them or it will stop the clock. I ran the clock without the washers or pin in and it still stopped in a half an hour. I like the clock repair man ( been doing repairs for 20 years). But what's up? I know you're the best to ask. Thank you for any help.

IMG_20200110_102833995.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I had it serviced because it would just stop running. Clock repair man said he didn't need to take the movement out. He adjusted the escapement new suspension spring and oiled the movement. Said it ran for a week just fine. When I came home it ran for an hour then stopped, I remembered he said the washers on the hands can not have too much pressure on them or it will stop the clock. I ran the clock without the washers or pin in and it still stopped in a half an hour. I like the clock repair man ( been doing repairs for 20 years). But what's up? I know you're the best to ask. Thank you for any help.

View attachment 659356
The repair folks will be along. I wanted to say how attractive your CR is!

Not your typical CR.

Regards.

Last edited:

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008

View attachment 659356
IMG_20200102_083904055.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
I had it serviced because it would just stop running. Clock repair man said he didn't need to take the movement out.
'didn't need to take the movement out' to get it running is NOT the same as 'movements MUST be removed for best practices servicing... and then disassembled, all issues addressed (pivots, pivot holes, rust, grunged up oil, bent or broken teeth, polishing parts that move against each other, escape wheel teeth, etc.), re-assembled, freshly oiled and tested, etc. once that's done, you can say it's been serviced.

some caveats:

1. i assume he didn't charge much for the 'service' because he didn't do 90% of what is typically done... he made some adjustments and got it running. if you don't know when it was last fully serviced, it needs it... and 'got it running' might mean for months or years... the only way to know for sure is a full servicing.

2. a full service is going to be more work and take more time... and cost more... but this clock is definitely worth doing/treating right

3. the clock MUST be in beat to run.... https://mb.nawcc.org/wiki/Encyclopedia-Subjects/Clock-Repair/Beat-Setting-101 i believe on these clocks you should be able to start the pendulum swinging vigorously and it should settle into in-beat-ness (the use of the word 'should' means your mileage may vary!)

4. if you can take video from behind of the pendulum swinging and suspension spring, etc. and post to youtube and then copy and paste the url into a post here, the video will auto-embed and we can see what you're seeing... maybe we'll see something out of place? who know?

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
It is very likely that it needs a thorough cleaning and fresh oil on each pivot. The springs in these movements are often dry and need cleaning and lube. A quick fix is usually not a good fix.

Reactions: hutytuty

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
'didn't need to take the movement out' to get it running is NOT the same as 'movements MUST be removed for best practices servicing... and then disassembled, all issues addressed (pivots, pivot holes, rust, grunged up oil, bent or broken teeth, polishing parts that move against each other, escape wheel teeth, etc.), re-assembled, freshly oiled and tested, etc. once that's done, you can say it's been serviced.

some caveats:

1. i assume he didn't charge much for the 'service' because he didn't do 90% of what is typically done... he made some adjustments and got it running. if you don't know when it was last fully serviced, it needs it... and 'got it running' might mean for months or years... the only way to know for sure is a full servicing.

2. a full service is going to be more work and take more time... and cost more... but this clock is definitely worth doing/treating right

3. the clock MUST be in beat to run.... https://mb.nawcc.org/wiki/Encyclopedia-Subjects/Clock-Repair/Beat-Setting-101 i believe on these clocks you should be able to start the pendulum swinging vigorously and it should settle into in-beat-ness (the use of the word 'should' means your mileage may vary!)

4. if you can take video from behind of the pendulum swinging and suspension spring, etc. and post to youtube and then copy and paste the url into a post here, the video will auto-embed and we can see what you're seeing... maybe we'll see something out of place? who know?
Thank you so much for the complete information ! I know you are right full service is and means full take down repair etc... I will take that video and post it. I will try to do it tonight. My girlfriend of 60 years died last night so I'm well you know very sad. My husband will help me with the video. If not tonight as soon as possible. Thank you for the help. I must say I put a 1/4 of a drop of clock oil on the washer and the -bar- that hands are on that comes out of the middle of the dial. Maybe it's bent just a hair but the clock has been running for 3 hrs without stopping. Video to come. Thank you.

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
Thank you so much for the complete information ! I know you are right full service is and means full take down repair etc... I will take that video and post it. I will try to do it tonight. My girlfriend of 60 years died last night so I'm well you know very sad. My husband will help me with the video. If not tonight as soon as possible. Thank you for the help. I must say I put a 1/4 of a drop of clock oil on the washer and the -bar- that hands are on that comes out of the middle of the dial. Maybe it's bent just a hair but the clock has been running for 3 hrs without stopping. Video to come. Thank you.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i had to crank the audio to hear it ticking... it's close, but the tick comes ever-so-slightly faster when the pendulum swings to the right. this may or may not contribute to what was making it stop, but would be less of an issue after a full servicing.

sorry about your friend....

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A pretty good rule on French clocks is:
If everything looks good, the trouble is inside the mainspring barrels.

The minute hand should be reasonably tight on its shaft and both hands should be completely free to move in and out a tiny amount.

i like the crutch to be tight enough to require manual adjustment. There are two camps of though on this issue ...

Willie X

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
i had to crank the audio to hear it ticking... it's close, but the tick comes ever-so-slightly faster when the pendulum swings to the right. this may or may not contribute to what was making it stop, but would be less of an issue after a full servicing.

sorry about your friend....
Thank you for your help your absolutely right. And thank you for your kind words.

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
A pretty good rule on French clocks is:
If everything looks good, the trouble is inside the mainspring barrels.

The minute hand should be reasonably tight on its shaft and both hands should be completely free to move in and out a tiny amount.

i like the crutch to be tight enough to require manual adjustment. There are two camps of though on this issue ...

Willie X

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
Thank you for your wisdom I agree. It's very hard to find clock repair person in south Florida (Coral Springs). I have tried one with this clock . He said he did a full service the movement came back shinny and bright back I had to have him look at it again a couple of times. Then he told me he really repaired high end watches. Another was a crook and brought it to a cell phone repair friend. Then there is a very high end repair shop that wanted a 1,000+ to do it. And to ship it out would be still an unknown person, plus it weighs a ton and the way they throw packages around it's just not safe. Sooo I'm in a jam. I worked at my Norwegian Grandfathers clock shop when I was in highschool (behind the counter) lol but I still picked up enough info to be dangerous. Sorry for the long post but I know what you say is true. I've spent a lot a money on the clock already but will keep trying.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
These clocks are very sensitive with regard to setting the beat. A little bit out of bit and they will stop. Try lifting the right side of the case just a little bit and see if the clock keeps running now or if it stops even sooner. If it stops sooner, try lifting the left side. Something like a business card makes a good shim. Once you determined the high side, you can push the pendulum crutch a tiny bit to that high side one you feel a little resistance. Then try if the clock keeps running without the shim.

Uhralt

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
These clocks are very sensitive with regard to setting the beat. A little bit out of bit and they will stop. Try lifting the right side of the case just a little bit and see if the clock keeps running now or if it stops even sooner. If it stops sooner, try lifting the left side. Something like a business card makes a good shim. Once you determined the high side, you can push the pendulum crutch a tiny bit to that high side one you feel a little resistance. Then try if the clock keeps running without the shim.

Uhralt
Thank You very good advice! My grandma used the shim repair lol I do know how to set the beat and a violinist so I'm good with that. And yes I know in the video it was off some, but I fixed that. Thank you for your help to take the time to advise me. I think something else could be wrong. I kept the washers loose and a very little oil on them and the shaft that they are in on at the point the shaft comes through the dial. It's been running great ! Maybe the shaft was bent some how out for repair because it ran for close to a year Great ! But I wanted it serviced to make sure this special clock perfect and it came back always stopping after an half to an hour of running so it's springs or bent shaft , like I said I took a chance to see if that might be the problem and it's been running very good and the time also. I'm just depressed I just can not find a fair qualified clock repair man here in south Florida (Coral Springs). Have tried many and we'll I won't say. I try to be kind to everyone. Ok enough thanks for being kind.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
It's very hard to find clock repair person in south Florida (Coral Springs). I have tried one with this clock . He said he did a full service the movement came back shinny and bright back I had to have him look at it again a couple of times. Then he told me he really repaired high end watches. Another was a crook and brought it to a cell phone repair friend. Then there is a very high end repair shop that wanted a 1,000+ to do it.
That's thoroughly depressing. You've been dealing with dishonest people. My guess is that the high-end-watch guy let the movement soak in the ultrasonic cleaning machine without disassembling it, which can help but is certainly not a complete job. On the other hand, if your video was taken at least fifteen minutes after the clock was started, then we can conclude that the pendulum motion is adequate and that the primary difficulty is that the movement was out of beat, which the video demonstrates. But these are matters that any repairman should have discussed with you, for most customers have no idea how to deal with a pendulum clock to begin with. When you retrieved your clock it should have been set up for you and demonstrated, and the warranty explained. My customers know to return a clock to me if there are any problems at all, and I correct these at no charge without time limit.

Mark Kinsler

hutytuty

Jan 4, 2008
You can check the following thread for NAWCC chapters in South Florida (there are three).

Contact them and ask for a recommendation for someone to look at your CR if you are not satisfied with the person who worked on it recently.

Local Chapters | National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors, Inc. (nawcc.org)

Regards.
That's thoroughly depressing. You've been dealing with dishonest people. My guess is that the high-end-watch guy let the movement soak in the ultrasonic cleaning machine without disassembling it, which can help but is certainly not a complete job. On the other hand, if your video was taken at least fifteen minutes after the clock was started, then we can conclude that the pendulum motion is adequate and that the primary difficulty is that the movement was out of beat, which the video demonstrates. But these are matters that any repairman should have discussed with you, for most customers have no idea how to deal with a pendulum clock to begin with. When you retrieved your clock it should have been set up for you and demonstrated, and the warranty explained. My customers know to return a clock to me if there are any problems at all, and I correct these at no charge without time limit.

Mark Kinsler
Thanks for being a honest clock repair man. I'm sure I'm one in many who feels the same way. Wish you lived in Coral Springs Fl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller