BW Raymond stops running

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by watchtinker, Oct 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. watchtinker

watchtinker Registered User

Dec 25, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hello, I have an interesting problem that has me stumped. I recently bought an elgin BW Raymond Grade 478. The watch movement runs great when it is in the case, but the moment you put it back in the case it slows down a lot and eventually stops. Does anyone have any ideas as to what would cause this?
    277956-1ba10ba7023369d793a5cd5021a41d62.jpg 277957-079be21991968b622aa653f238988f03.jpg

Attached Files:

2. watchtinker

Dec 25, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I am sorry. I meant to say the movement runs fine when it is out of the case.

3. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A couple of things to check:

Are the hands dragging on the crystal?

Is the setting lever completely disengaged, i.e., all the way in? Sometimes the additional drag of the setting mechanism can stop a watch.

Happy hunting!

Glen

4. watchtinker

Dec 25, 2016
    Country Flag:
    The hands are not dragging and the setting lever is all the way in.

5. watchtinker

Dec 25, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Also if the movement is loose in the case it runs fine. It only stops when I tighten up the case screws.

6. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    I have had this happen to me once over the years. The movement stopped when I tighthend the case screws, Turned out to be the case screw closest to the gear train. I don't remember what I did to solve it but it had something to do with the main plate bending ever so little which locked up the gear train. (Don't quote me, but I think I gave the main plate a small bend in the opposite direction!)

Mine did not stop even if I tightened the case screws with the movement out of the case. It was only when the case was mounted and I think it was linked to the main plate being pulled against the casing, that caused the slight bend.

7. watchtinker

Dec 25, 2016
    Country Flag:
    So the case screw that seems to be causing the problems is the one closest to the stem. I tighten the other one up and it seems to run fine.

8. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    I have also had this happen several times--tighten the case screw and the watch stops. Watchmaker friend told me that one or both of the plates could be warped slightly.

My solution was to tighten it down just prior to the watch stopping. Did not have a problem with the screw working its way out.

9. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    I can think of a few things to check:

1 - Are the case screws of the same length? If not try to switch them!

2 - Loosen the screws on the gear train plate ever so slightly and mount the watch again. If that helps it is the gear train that locks up.

3 - You can also check the gear train by pushing slightly on each wheel with a tooth pick. The wheel after the wheel that is locked will not have any tension.

Question! Does it stop directly when you tighten the screw or is it after a few minutes?

10. rolandantrobus

rolandantrobus Registered User

May 17, 2016
    Country Flag:
    #10 rolandantrobus, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    I had a Waltham Riverside that stopped when you attempted to close the case back. You would assume that something was fouling but no there was plenty of clearance. Eventually solved by checking that all the movement screws were tight and a slight easing of the case screws. The case was giving the movement an imperceptible twist, enough to stop it.