• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

bw raymond center pinion question

Luca

Jan 19, 2004
I went to let down the mainspring of a BW Raymond - had a bench key in winding slot to slowly let it off and pegwood at the click. Instead the center pinion unscrewed. Is this normal? Is the pinion still usable - can I just screw it back on?

Sorry for such a basic question - I haven't done anything with this type before.

Luca

EmmaR

Jun 29, 2007
www.taswatchhospital.com
just screw it back on.. it's a healthy thread anyway!.. this is called a safety pinion, it is to stop escapement damage if there is a mainspring or click failure. dont put loctite or anything on it, it wont unwind in normal operation. maybe the mainspring has skipped its pin in the barrel or something to cause this, unless you let go of the ratchet wheel when letting it down. make sure you screw it back on the right way up, and let us know how you go!

*EMMA*

Smudgy

May 20, 2003
Country
Region
Just to expand, just snug it down, but don't tighten it too much. Don't worry about it being too loose, the pressure from the mainspring will tighten it as much as it needs to if it's a little loose. Also make sure that the flat part of the hole in the wheel aligns with the flat spot on the staff and seats properly when the gear is screwed on. If you tighten the gear too much, the next time the mainspring slips or breaks you will be replacing jewels and/or the balance staff.

EmmaR

Jun 29, 2007
www.taswatchhospital.com
Smudgy said:
Just to expand, just snug it down, but don't tighten it too much. Don't worry about it being too loose, the pressure from the mainspring will tighten it as much as it needs to if it's a little loose.
:) just logged on to add this, and someone already has.. :) good stuff.

*EM*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knarf0118
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-