Buy the book before the watch!

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Jon Hanson, May 23, 2004.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    here are a few books recommended for watch collectors:

General references

The Ehrhardt Price Indicators--great for the pictures. A MUST

Other Ehrhardt spiral bound books on other watches--American and Foreign. Great for pictures and my "staring and comparing."

The Col. Townsend books, inc. "Almost everything you wabnted to know about American Watches and Didn't know who to ask"; "The Watch That Made the Dollar Famous"; and "American Railroad Watches." For Howard info--try the Col's book on Howard watches. ALL MUSTS.

"The Beginning to End Book" by Roy Ehrhardt--A MUST.

Harrold, Mike. "American Watchmaking, suppliment #14" and available from the NAWCC library for about $6. (one of the MB chapters actually asks $15. or more for this book which is an obscene profit). You do not have to be a member to acquire this book from the nawcc bookstore. Good history but many errors.

"It's About Time" by Maj. Paul Chamberlain--SCARCE AND OUT OF PRINT. A MUST.

Topical books:

Illinois Watches by Meggers and Ehrhardt--A MUST along with the Chapter 149 CD on the subject by Dr, Russ Snyder.

Marion, by Muir and Kraus--available from the NAWCC book store on line for abt $16.00. A MUST for US Watch Co. collectors as well as the Hanson-Ehrhardt book on Marion Watches.

"Timing a Century" by Charles Moore--a history of the Waltham Watch Co.--SCARCE AND OUT OF PRINT.

"History of Watch and Clockmaking in America" by Charles S. Crossman, republished by Don Dawes--limited 200 printing, now out of print--A MUST.

"America Watch Factories" by Abbott. A MUST.

"The Marine Chronometer" by Commander R.T. Gould--A MUST. Out of print but reprined.

"The Ships Chronometer" by Marvin Whitney

This ought to get you started, as I have many more books you, the collector, should own and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND buying important (or even collecting) horological books. A few readers scoffed at my book recommendations (even suggested that I do all this for personal gain-what a joke), but what I tell you is THE TRUTH and THE WISE THING TO DO.

2. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    here are a few books recommended for watch collectors:

General references

The Ehrhardt Price Indicators--great for the pictures. A MUST

Other Ehrhardt spiral bound books on other watches--American and Foreign. Great for pictures and my "staring and comparing."

The Col. Townsend books, inc. "Almost everything you wabnted to know about American Watches and Didn't know who to ask"; "The Watch That Made the Dollar Famous"; and "American Railroad Watches." For Howard info--try the Col's book on Howard watches. ALL MUSTS.

"The Beginning to End Book" by Roy Ehrhardt--A MUST.

Harrold, Mike. "American Watchmaking, suppliment #14" and available from the NAWCC library for about $6. (one of the MB chapters actually asks $15. or more for this book which is an obscene profit). You do not have to be a member to acquire this book from the nawcc bookstore. Good history but many errors.

"It's About Time" by Maj. Paul Chamberlain--SCARCE AND OUT OF PRINT. A MUST.

Topical books:

Illinois Watches by Meggers and Ehrhardt--A MUST along with the Chapter 149 CD on the subject by Dr, Russ Snyder.

Marion, by Muir and Kraus--available from the NAWCC book store on line for abt $16.00. A MUST for US Watch Co. collectors as well as the Hanson-Ehrhardt book on Marion Watches.

"Timing a Century" by Charles Moore--a history of the Waltham Watch Co.--SCARCE AND OUT OF PRINT.

"History of Watch and Clockmaking in America" by Charles S. Crossman, republished by Don Dawes--limited 200 printing, now out of print--A MUST.

"America Watch Factories" by Abbott. A MUST.

"The Marine Chronometer" by Commander R.T. Gould--A MUST. Out of print but reprined.

"The Ships Chronometer" by Marvin Whitney

This ought to get you started, as I have many more books you, the collector, should own and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND buying important (or even collecting) horological books. A few readers scoffed at my book recommendations (even suggested that I do all this for personal gain-what a joke), but what I tell you is THE TRUTH and THE WISE THING TO DO.

3. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree wholeheartedly with Jon about the importance of educating yourself. Jon's recommendations cover the American watch field quite well. I would also add, for those interested in European timepieces, "Britten's Old Clocks & Watches and Their Makers" (edited by Baillie and others) and "Watches" by Clutton & Daniels. A review of a good repair book (clocks or watches, depending on your interest) will help you learn the proper terminology to ask questions that will be easily understood. "The thingie next to the whatzit" won't get you too far.

4. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes and thanks, Jerry is correct and I have the two he listed in my paper I wrote some time ago for The American Horologe Company. I left them out due to time constraints.

Jerry, maybe you ne to straighten out fellow 185er John P.!!!

5. stephenlouis

stephenlouis Guest

I really enjoyed "Technique and History of the Swiss Watch" by Jaquet and Chapuis. Lots of general history for a good basic time line of watches.

6. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would add any edition you can get of Clutton and Daniels "Watches" Britten's Clocks and Watches and Shugart is a useful item too.

7. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    DJ, \

Yes, the C and D books (2) also were on my initial list!