Bushings

TEACLOCKS

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2005
Santa Rosa Calif.
www.weserviceallclocks.com
Country
Region
The pivots look to not be in the center of these bushings.
Where the Bushing holes cut then the bushings installed then the pivot holes where cut using a depth tool :???::???::???::???:?
Thank you
Never worked a movement with these bushings, they look all the same outside diameter.
Thank you.

DSCF8053.JPG DSCF8055.JPG DSCF8058.JPG DSCF8060.JPG

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I am not sure how they did those bushings originally. I have seen many that also look like they are not in the center. Waterbury used that method. Looks like they were pressed in somehow. I like the (bushing?) on the front of T-3. Looks like they glued them on. Never seen that one before.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
If you go by the outer edge of the small inner bevel and use KWM bushings, things usually go well. Willie X

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
The pivots look to not be in the center of these bushings.
Where the Bushing holes cut then the bushings installed then the pivot holes where cut using a depth tool :???::???::???::???:?
Thank you
Never worked a movement with these bushings, they look all the same outside diameter.
Thank you.

View attachment 640708 View attachment 640709 View attachment 640710 View attachment 640711
Teaclocks

I suspect the bushings were installed in the plates and then stamped as a permanent installation. Stamping would account for deformation of the outer edge, but the center hole of the bushing would have remained centered in the plate.

If the clock has ran for many years and proved itself, the original pivot center hole is the only reference that should be used for centering a new bushing as with all clocks. I also suspect you will not want to go larger than a KWM 2.7 OD bushing and ream the pivot hole to size.

Jerry Kieffer

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Steel plates? Check with a magnet. Those often (but not always) had brass plugs inserted like that. It sure makes it easier to bush!

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Looks like a typical Waterbury steel plate movement with brass "plugs". The pivot holes are frequently not centered in the brass we see. Don't attempt to replace these large brass plugs, just use brass bushings of the smallest OD that will accommodate the pivot. When reaming the hole for the bushing it is important not to cut into the steel plate or the brass plug may fall out, or come lose and shift position.

RC

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
If the old 'plug' moves, how are you planning to remember where center is?

I just finished a ST calendar movement. It had overly large hand made bushings from solid round stock. They were not at all tight in the plates.

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
Hey Willie X , that's what I was getting at. Marking the registration points will allow to re-bush better. I have a preacher, but sometimes it is difficult to align for me. I use a small scribed X over the bushing hole. You can be quite discrete. The lines in the end look just like the pivot scrapes on brass.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
You wouldn't normally make any "lines" with a preacher, just a couple of dents. A third dent into the blank bushing when you get it installed.

Maybe you are using a depthing tool??

Willie X

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
I have had "plugs" move just recently. Two, as a matter of fact. They were poorly made and drilled off center. Because of that, they changed the depthing on T1, T2, the clock could not tic. As soon as I started bushing, they fell out of the plate. They took up a huge amount of real estate on the plate too. It took a lot of careful planning, but the unit is running near perfectly.

001.JPG 015.JPG 003.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmelfelt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff