bushings

clockman230@comcast.net

Jan 30, 2005
Country
can anyone help me in acquiring bushings for a wooden geared clock with metal pivots. I have read that brass bushings are not the way to go so I would like similar bushings out of wood or another suitable material. thanks

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
can anyone help me in acquiring bushings for a wooden geared clock with metal pivots. I have read that brass bushings are not the way to go so I would like similar bushings out of wood or another suitable material. thanks

Brass bushings were used By a few makers, so if the clock was ORIGINALLY bushed with brass, and you want to keep it original, then brass would be appropriate. Brass bushings need oil - wood does not. Brass often corrodes in wood. We see wooden clocks with wood pivot holes (no bushings) that are still running after almost 200 years, perhaps longer.

I am not aware of a source of ready made bushings for wooden plates. I believe most people make their own. I prefer to make mine from Delrin-AF rod. The "purerist" usually use a plug cutter, available at better hardware stores, to cut a wood plug to make a wooden bushing. There have been a number of discussions here about bushing wooden movements if you use the search option.

RC

Last edited:

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
I generally use wooden plugs, cut from scrap wooden movement clock plates, and stay away from plastic. Hardware store plug cutters are generally useless. I've spent a bit too much money on plug cutters from Fuller-

http://www.wlfuller.com/html/plug_cutters.html

Spend the money once, keep the cutters for years, never have a regret. The cutters are actually manufactured here in Rhode Island. Don't be impatient. I have cutters from 3/16" to 5/8", for those rare wooden movements whose holes have been bushed with generous quantities of brass or plastic.

clockman230@comcast.net

Jan 30, 2005
Country
I generally use wooden plugs, cut from scrap wooden movement clock plates, and stay away from plastic. Hardware store plug cutters are generally useless. I've spent a bit too much money on plug cutters from Fuller-

http://www.wlfuller.com/html/plug_cutters.html

Spend the money once, keep the cutters for years, never have a regret. The cutters are actually manufactured here in Rhode Island. Don't be impatient. I have cutters from 3/16" to 5/8", for those rare wooden movements whose holes have been bushed with generous quantities of brass or plastic.
can you send me 4 3/16 inch plugs ?

- - - Updated - - -

can you send me a few 3/16 inch plugs ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ningxis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff