Bushing Tool

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by tom427cid, Mar 21, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all,
    It sorta seems anti-climactic it's together and it works,even seems to stay on center.lol
    Anyway,experiencing sticker shock when I was looking at bushing tools,I decided that there must be an easier(read cheap) way out. One of the draw-backs was I wanted to be able to control down pressure while the tool was turning.Like a drill press for example. Well,I ordered an $85 mini-drill press.
    It had a 1/3 hp motor and the motor on my small lathe was very noisy.Seemed to be able to kill two birds with one stone.
    Stripped down the new machine and addressed the following;added two locking set screws to eliminate the slop in the quill assy,added a 3/8 x 16 hand knob to replace the lock on the post for the head piece,made a 6" disc with a knob to turn the quill,used a piece of aluminum to make a table for the holding device,and the hardest task was to drill the quill to accept a bit/cutter.
    I have added a pic of the set-up on my wood lathe to drill the quill-please don't laugh at my Rube Goldberg arrangement,I was unable to disassemble the bearing sleeve assy so this was only other option I could think of.the drilled hole is within .005" to .006" of being on center. I hope it will be close enough.
    The holding device is a drill press adapter from Merritt's(the usual disclaimer about my association with them).
    Total time invested about a day or so.Hopefully this will shorten the time I need to install atleast 15 bushes in a three train chime movement from a Gazo-(no replacement available,and hoping I don't have a bunch of bad pinions)cause it's dated 1981
    tom

87517.jpg

87518.jpg

87519.jpg

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey, Tom, I like it. Great ingenuity. Probably better than what you could have bought.
    Who made the movement you are working on? If there is any signs that the pivots are shedding or have shed their plating, you might want to consider using Mark Butterworth's bearings.

3. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Brilliant. Once you get used to suing a drill press you wouldn't use anything else. Very versitile.

4. tom427cid

NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Harold,
    The movement is a Jaunch(I think it is pronounced junk!).I have not yet disassembled the movement.I ran it through the cleaner to loosen some of the crud and to identify where it was worn. If the pivots are flaking it would appear to be a prime candidate for Marks bearing system.
    Talk about a baptism by fire using an untested machine and a whole new system(to me) of bearings. I suppose if I had good sense I would be worried! VBG
    tom

5. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    To quote a magazine I subscribed to as a teen, "What me worry?" :D:D

6. cazboy

cazboy Registered User

Apr 27, 2006
    Retired!
    Prescott Valley, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, all the high-priced bushing tools I've seen seem to lack a heavy "solid" feel that should come with such a high price. :mad: It looks to me like you've solved that problem! :D

7. tom427cid

NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all,
    An update,Built a stand(out of salvaged stuff) and addressed a couple of details. Then rebushed the Jaunch.
    The pivots all appeared to be ok-no flaking. Anyway,did the preliminary hole reshaping,set it,clamped it, bored it, and lightly broached 14 bushes.I still installed the bushes by hand and hammer,if for no other reason that it makes me feel better. My conclusions; First it took less time than I anticipated it would,and second which to me is more important I did not have to spend as much time adjusting the rebushed hole for square to the plate. My only complaint is I wish I had built this machine sooner!
    87798.jpg
    -> posts merged by system <-
    Sorry,I forgot to thankyou for the replies and feed back
    tom

8. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Hi
    I like it. The only thing I might have done differently
    is made a tapered mount for the tools rather than
    boring the shaft.