Bushing Selection Assistance Needed

MNSTREETGLIDE17

Dec 5, 2021
Country
Taking the next step for adding bushings and need some assistance. I ordered KWM bushing assortment #1 based on typical pivot sizes for American clocks and reamers 1.8mm & 2.7mm. What I now noticed is the plates have bushings with an OD of about 3.85mm. It appears I would have no problem bushing a hole that has never been touched with this set, do I need assortment 2 and another reamer in this situation? Should I ever put a bushing within an existing bushing? Seems like putting a tire patch on top of an existing tire patch to me.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The #3 reamer and associated bushings will do over 90% of your usual repair work.

You will eventually need the #2 and #4 reamers, along with several packs of select bushing to suit the job at hand.

I don't like to do the 'bushing in a bushing' thing but sometimes it's the only practical choice. It's not something you would do very often.

Willie X

MNSTREETGLIDE17

Dec 5, 2021
Country
The #3 reamer and associated bushings will do over 90% of your usual repair work.

You will eventually need the #2 and #4 reamers, along with several packs of select bushing to suit the job at hand.

I don't like to do the 'bushing in a bushing' thing but sometimes it's the only practical choice. It's not something you would do very often.

Willie X
So the #3 is what size in mm? Where would I find a good chart for this info as some sites list a reamer# and some list a mm size.
I'm spending way to much time on research, timesavers part numbers would be helpful.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
So the #3 is what size in mm? Where would I find a good chart for this info as some sites list a reamer# and some list a mm size.
I'm spending way to much time on research, timesavers part numbers would be helpful.
You've got to do the research sooner or later. Download the timesavers catalog if you don't already have it. The tables you need are in there.

Elliott Wolin

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2019
Williamsburg, Virginia
Country
Region
Butterworth sold me one pack of KWM bushings having a small pivot hole size for each of many plate thicknesses. Then I just broach the small pivot hole to fit. Slower than having bushings with correct pivot hole sizes, but you need far less of them.

I even saved a fair amount of money buying bushings without oil sinks, I use a KWM countersink to create them.

MNSTREETGLIDE17

Dec 5, 2021
Country
Butterworth sold me one pack of KWM bushings having a small pivot hole size for each of many plate thicknesses. Then I just broach the small pivot hole to fit. Slower than having bushings with correct pivot hole sizes, but you need far less of them.

I even saved a fair amount of money buying bushings without oil sinks, I use a KWM countersink to create them.
Good suggestion to keep in mind, thank you.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Also recognize that there are two main sources of bushings, and that you may also need a few Bergeon bushings on hand too for those times you run across them in plates. They are typically larger than KWM.

MNSTREETGLIDE17

Dec 5, 2021
Country
Also recognize that there are two main sources of bushings, and that you may also need a few Bergeon bushings on hand too for those times you run across them in plates. They are typically larger than KWM.
I am aware of the two sources. I thought I should pick a brand for familiarity and consistency to start off, understanding I may need to adapt going forward based on the situation.
I may be off a bit when trying to measure the existing bushing in the plate as I don't see a OD of 3.8mm in either source so perhaps it is a 3.5mm or someone made their own.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A caliper can be a necessity in the wonderful world of clock repair.
Willie X

Reactions: wow

MNSTREETGLIDE17

Dec 5, 2021
Country

Willie X
When you do have to do a bushing within a bushing, do you go as large as possible or only as small as needed?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
As small as posable. You want to leave as much of the original bushing as you can.

Steel plates are the main place where I use the ole 'bushing in a bushing' thing.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I started out years ago using Bergeon instead of KWM. The upside of that is that I rarely have issues with previous bushing sizes. The downside is that my bushings are a little larger than what would be considered "pretty". I no doubt create problems for future repairmen who use KWM exclusively. Sorry. :D

Reactions: Simon Holt

MNSTREETGLIDE17

Dec 5, 2021
Country
I started out years ago using Bergeon instead of KWM. The upside of that is that I rarely have issues with previous bushing sizes. The downside is that my bushings are a little larger than what would be considered "pretty". I no doubt create problems for future repairmen who use KWM exclusively. Sorry. :D
It helps to know what I may run into and why so I can plan ahead, thank you!!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
FYI

When doing 'first time bushings' you can use a Bergeon 2.5mm OD in just about any place you use a 2.7mm KWM.
BUT you will have to do a lot more broaching, as the ID is under 1mm for all 2.5mm Bergeon bushings.

No matter what, you will eventually need bushings from both systems. :Party::Party::Party:

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00035Skip
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller