Bushing replacement query

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I have a mess of a clock coming in this week. It has already been bushed in certain spots and also has punch marks in the rear plate. It looks as though the bushing may have been punched. Not sure as I haven't seen it in person yet. I use kwm. How does one know when replacing a bushing, what that bushing is etc before removing the old one.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
I have a mess of a clock coming in this week. It has already been bushed in certain spots and also has punch marks in the rear plate. It looks as though the bushing may have been punched. Not sure as I haven't seen it in person yet. I use kwm. How does one know when replacing a bushing, what that bushing is etc before removing the old one.
You really don't know until you have it in hand and remove the 'bad' bushing, then just try your reamer(s) in the hole and see if there is a good fit. Keep in mind that the previous repair person may have used a tapered broach instead of a reamer and/or made an oversize hole and punched or peened the bushing to keep it in place. You just play the cards in your hand and do what you have to do.

RC

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I use KWM also and when i find Bergeron bushings are already there, I sometimes can do a bushing in a bushing because bergerons are larger. If the old one comes out or you want to remove it, it is better to make a plug that fits the hole and drill it out to the right size. Solid Bergeron bushings are good to have in those cases.

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
I use KWM as well, but I have Bergeon bushings. If a previously bushed plate was done with Bergeon bushings and they are worn, is it best to pop them out and replace with new Bergeon bushings? Would they have a loose fit??

MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
An option is to put a smaller outer diameter KWM inside the currently installed Bergen. Sometimes the current bushing pops out doing this procedure. Just wondering the better path that others prefer.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
An option is to put a smaller outer diameter KWM inside the currently installed Bergen. Sometimes the current bushing pops out doing this procedure. Just wondering the better path that others prefer.
Getting a bushing perfectly centered is always a challenge and especially so when the original pivot hole has already been bushed. In spite of our best effort each bushing can potentially introduce an error, so all else being equal, a single bushing is more likely to be closer to center. The only time I use bushing in a bushing is when the only bushing that will fit the hole in the plate has an ID that is too large. I would knock out the bushing and hope the person who installed it centered the hole as a starting point. I use Bergeon bushings so if the first bushing is KWN, I can ream the hole for a tight fit Bergeon bushing.

If a bushing pops out doing a bushing in a bushing operation, the original bushing probably wasn't a good fit to begin with, the reamer was dull, or too much force was applied.

RC

Reactions: roughbarked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlfuller
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre