• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Bushing problem

DougDaytona

New User
Feb 1, 2021
Country
In attempting to re-bush, by hand, a Seth Thomas 89 works I made the hole in the plate slightly too large. The bushing shown in the photo can be inserted easily with a finger and will pop out if I assemble the works.
I tried to order a KWM bushing with a slightly larger outside diameter and the same inside diameter (1.35-1.40) but Timesavers has had the order on hold since last December with no assurance when, if ever, it will be available.
My question: Is there a way to make the bushing hold smaller by squeezing the metal around it with a punch or some other instrument. Or is there another method that could be used. Since it is not a valuable works I don't care about defacing the plate.

IMG_1933.JPG

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Lay the plate on a smooth anvil with the out side up. Place the bushing, completely against the anvil, this will automatically make the in side of the bushing even with the in side of the plate. Place a small ball bearing or dapping punch on the new bushing and wack it
one good time with a small shop hammer, about 8 ounce. Repeat, only if necessary.

The bearing, or dapping punch would need to be about 25% larger than the bushing's OD. Others may know more about the exact size, if you publish exactly what bushing (or reamer) you have there.

Willie X

Ed O'Brien

NAWCC Member
Nov 30, 2009
Winter Park, FL
Country
I have also had success installing a longer bushing then, using similar technique, squashing the bushing into place and filing off any excess length.

Reactions: NEW65

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You could also go to a Bergeon bushing. They are larger.
Some here have had good success with LocTite 604 too.

Reactions: Jonas and NEW65

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
It’s not unusual to have to peen a bushing - I just enlarge the outer diameter of the bushing slightly by giving it a whack with a light hammer. (Place it on a hard surface eg anvil as Willie suggests).

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The problem with enlarging the OD with a hammer is the potential of moving the center. Best to use a tool like Willie uses to minimize that danger. It keeps the blow more uniform across the bushing.

Reactions: Jonas

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
There are punches in your staking set the fit the bushing oil sink very well. A light tap and some red locktight if you want insurance.

Reactions: Dave T and Kevin W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helplessfanatic12
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-