• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Bushing American Escape Wheel Question

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
I always thought you do all things bushings from inside the plates. The movements I’m taking about are regular antique American movements, this one specifically is an 8 day spring driven time only Sessions.

In Temple’s clock restoration book, it says to “bush” from inside of plates. But, specifically I’m bushing an escape wheel on a platform on top of the plates. He has a picture for that & it shows him broaching / filing from outside of plates.

Just double checking, and either side is accessible, do you bush a platform escape from the outside, inside, or does it matter?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Platform escapement?

Are you speaking of the little bridge that supports the outer end of the escape-wheel arbor?

And, what kind of tools will you using to make the hole?

Willie X

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
Platform escapement?

Are you speaking of the little bridge that supports the outer end of the escape-wheel arbor?

And, what kind of tools will you using to make the hole?

Willie X
263931AB-852D-4402-A284-A194D0C59679.png

Yes. I’m calling it a platform, but it’s as above. When the escape wheel is mounted externally on the plates. Hand tools: files, broaches, & KWM reamer

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
View attachment 682788

Yes. I’m calling it a platform, but it’s as above. When the escape wheel is mounted externally on the plates. Hand tools: files, broaches, & KWM reamer
If you are using hand tools it really doesn’t matter. I would use something like feeler gauge leaves to support the bridge and ream from the front side. The bushing can be pressed in with flat jawed pliers.

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
I can’t recall if KWM bushings have a top & bottom or both ends are the same. Assuming the are the same, I couldn’t see how it would matter much either

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The main thing is to make sure the finished pivot hole is in line with the opposite hole. To do this, pick a broach that will go across and into the other hole, for the final fitting. Willie X

Reactions: wow

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
kwm's have a flat side and an oil sink side.

i would bush from the inside side, and use a little stepper piece or willie's suggestion.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you are using a reamer, you can ream from the front and press it in from the back. That's the best way so it won't wiggle itself out eventually.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
with all due respect for my esteemed colleague, that seems backwards to me. If you are using a tapered reamer the hole is going to be slightly bigger in front… which means that if you press a bushing in from the back it will be tight at first but could then get looser the more you push. I would ream and press from the back, toward the front

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I agree The OP is using a broach; that should all be done from the inside the bushing should go in from the inside.

Just to make "one thing perfectly clear"
(President Nixon's voice). In post #7, I was speaking of the very last stage of finishing the already placed bushing and this 'pivot hole alignment thing" can only be done from outside the new bushing. Reason being, the escape wheel bridge is often bent inward and crooked on the plate. This does not matter as long as the pivot hole (on the bridge) is lined up with the one on the other plate.

Willie X

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
The OP said he has a KWM reamer. A reamer cuts a straight hole, not tapered like a broach or file. If he uses the reamer it shouldn’t matter which direction the bushing goes in. It just needs to be flush with the back side of the bridge. Is what I think.
Will

Reactions: Willie X

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
all kwm reamers are tapered... until the very end, where the shaft just fits through the reamed hole. sometimes, though, i stop just as i get to the end, so as to not over-broach the pivot hole. the trick is to create a perfectly round hole that still lets you pressure fit the bushing instead of allowing it to fall through.

since all of my regular smoothing and cutting broaches are tapered, i think it's still a good/best practice to go from inside to out... is what i think. :) (plus willie's comment)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I ream holes, using "D" cutters, either way, with no problems but I always press in the bushings from the inside.

I had picked up what the OP said as he described someone else using a broach in post #1. Everyone else evidently read post #3 too. :)

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Yes, the difference between a broach and a reamer seems to be the issue some are having. If you use a reamer but don't allow it to go through the plate, it would create a slight taper. In that instance, reaming and bushing from the back side would be best.
When a bushing is pushed into a hole that is slightly smaller than it, the end inserted first is more compressed than the other end. That makes it susceptible to being pushed out if it was inserted from the front. It's a gamble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlosarteagan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-