Bushed Schatz

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Well this a first, l am servicing a Schatz standard anniversary clock ( double elephant)and it has had three bushing's done, I can't understand why because they just don't wear, it was sent to me because it would not run , the bushes had very sharp edges, the barrel bush stickers out the backplate by about 2mm and they were tight when putting wheels in but the worst thing I have found so far is when the movement is together there is zero end shake on barrel.

BE1DCF53-37EE-45D9-B730-868053F37C52.jpeg 418DA0D0-21B6-4685-AD13-5D6704D3CF4B.jpeg F60E4E30-2617-473B-884A-8CF23E0548D8.jpeg 601D1E43-3204-4F34-8CD8-735226D04391.jpeg

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Anniversary clocks appealed to me because of the idea that they might never need bushings. I have found that not to be a universal truth. I would say that the older the clock, the less likely it should need bushings. For the thinner plates countered in the 1960s, etc., well expect to need bushings in some situations. To date, I have done some bushings in maybe three late clocks. I'm still pretty amateur at it but have a better understand now.

In your case, do I see a bushing that is offset from the oil sink hole? That really looks like a butcher job. I can only guess that the previous repair person (and I'll use that term loosely) had to find a different wheel/arbor that was bigger and had to offset the new hole to account for that. That sounds like all kinds of trouble to me.

Kurt

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I'm willing to concede the occasional bushing in a torsion clock, but this is what I tend to find.
Too many bushings.jpg

The problem this person was trying to solve was they did not know why their clock wouldn't run. It still doesn't.

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Anniversary clocks appealed to me because of the idea that they might never need bushings. I have found that not to be a universal truth. I would say that the older the clock, the less likely it should need bushings. For the thinner plates countered in the 1960s, etc., well expect to need bushings in some situations. To date, I have done some bushings in maybe three late clocks. I'm still pretty amateur at it but have a better understand now.

In your case, do I see a bushing that is offset from the oil sink hole? That really looks like a butcher job. I can only guess that the previous repair person (and I'll use that term loosely) had to find a different wheel/arbor that was bigger and had to offset the new hole to account for that. That sounds like all kinds of trouble to me.

Kurt
Kurt
As this clock was produced between the war’s it has thicker plates, not quite a thick as the earlier clocks but still quite thick, as to the bush that looks offset that looks odd because of the oil sink for the minute wheel because the minute wheel has a bridge on the outside of plate, the worst two problems were the bush for the centre arbor that was offset and the barrel had no end shake when it was all together, also the eccentric bush had been altered no doubt to try and get it to work, the winding arbor is twisted as well how anyone can do that I don’t know, must have been wound up by Arnold Swartzenigger.
It just puzzles me why it was bushed, even if a spring had let go it wouldn’t cause damage to the plates it just damages wheels and arbors ( I have two on bench both Schatz one standard and one 1000 day that mainspring had let go ).
Ken
It has been running all night so fingers crossed .
Dell

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Bushing the barrel holes in the plates is a bit lame. The arbor only turns when you wind the clock. The arbor doesn't need any end shake between the plates either. Strange they would mess with it.

Eric

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Bushing the barrel holes in the plates is a bit lame. The arbor only turns when you wind the clock. The arbor doesn't need any end shake between the plates either. Strange they would mess with it.

Eric
What I mean by barrel end shake is the barrel itself it should not be tight to plate, that causes friction because the barrel needs to turn.
Dell

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Who knows why bushings were installed in that clock, it could have been a bushing practice clock to the owner. I've bushed a few 400 day clocks, not so much for piviot hole wear but by the time you clean up the pitted pivots the fit is too loose. Suspect a couple of my clocks were just poorly made in the first place.

Wayne

GRZESIEK

Apr 3, 2017
Country
Kurt
Ponieważ ten zegar był produkowany w okresie międzywojennym, ma grubsze płyty, nie tak grube jak we wcześniejszych zegarach, ale wciąż dość grube, jeśli chodzi o tulejkę, która wygląda na przesuniętą, co wygląda dziwnie z powodu zlewu oleju do koła minutowego, ponieważ koło minutowe ma most na zewnątrz płyty, najgorsze dwa problemy to przesunięta tuleja centralnej altany, a lufa nie drżała, gdy wszystko było razem, również ekscentryczna tuleja została bez wątpienia zmieniona, aby spróbować ją uzyskać praca, kręta altana jest skręcona i jak ktokolwiek może to zrobić, nie wiem, musiała zostać nakręcona przez Arnolda Swartzeniggera.
Zastanawia mnie tylko dlaczego była tulejowana, nawet gdyby sprężyna puściła to nie uszkodziłaby talerzy to tylko uszkadza koła i trzpienie (mam dwa na ławce oba Schatz jeden standardowy i jeden 1000 dni który sprężyna puściła ).
Rozpoznać
Biega całą noc, więc trzymamy kciuki.
Dell
[/CYTA\\\\\\\

Maybe so that the watchmaker could issue a larger bill and earn more. Maybe because the watchmaker did not have adequate skills

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellaurin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-