Chronometry: Burt Cifrulak's Negus Bulletin Article

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Paul Regan, Sep 8, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I hope all who like chronometers have had the opportunity to read the wonderful article Burt Cifrulak produced in the latest Bulletin. It is the facinating story of Negus #1273. Burt is a most persistent researcher and an excellent writer. I am envious of his ownership of Negus #1273 but know it is in the best of hands. Thank you Burt for writing and submitting this interesting article.
    Paul

2. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Latest Bulletin Article

Paul,

Thank you sincerely. ...........I hope that it and this new opportunity for posting will get more collectors interested in this exciting part of horology, the marine chronometer!

3. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Burt,
    Just finished reading your great article in the Bulletin.

Nice research work on the history of your timepiece and I was surprised at how many ships it serviced.

That must have been an adventure just compiling some of the history of those ships.

4. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Jim,

Thank you so very much for your kind words. It seems like I can always count on you for your unselfish and positive support. I honestly could hardly believe myself the history the Negus piece "experienced" in its long and historic service with the United States Navy. It was a privilege to write about it and share the story with collectors around the world.

burt

5. gmeyer4

gmeyer4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Male
    CEO
    Morgan Hill
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Amazing how much history one watch can have. And, now Burt, your part of that History. Great article.

6. Dave Chaplain

Dave Chaplain Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Hi Burt,

I just read and enjoyed you're article on Negus 1273 - what a terrific history that chronometer has had, and thank you for sharing your research with us! And thanks to you and Paul for helping to find us a spot to talk about chronometers! :)

Dave

7. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 burt, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

Dave,

Thanks so much for your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed the article. It truly was a labor of love and certainly worth the effort to complete. Now that we have our own place on the board I hope we can utilize this opportunity to the fullest and post and share information on marine chronometers and chronometers of all types. We are fortunate to have people like Paul and yourself involved in the research and sharing of information on a subject we enjoy. Again I appreciate you taking the time to post and I'm looking forward to your support and posting in the future.
    5,226 views on the Negus thread is pretty impressive and I'm encouraged with that level of interest.

burt

8. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 burt, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

The United States Naval Observatory is one of the oldest scientific agencies in the country and was established on 6 December 1830. Its first and primary mission was to purchase and take care for our navy's marine chronometers, charts and other navigational equipment. The James Melville Gilliss Library, which is located on the observatory grounds, is one of the preeminent scientific libraries in the country. The library holds one of the most complete collections of astronomical literature in the world.

I was recently informed by Richard Schmidt a retired U.S.N.O. astronomer, that my article and the Bulletin in which it appeared (Sept/Oct 2015 Vol.57/5, No.417) has been selected and cataloged by the observatory library and is now on file at that institution. (Greg Shelton, asst. librarian, OCLC 921190506)

"In cataloging "A Marine Chronometer's Story" the USNO Library clearly realizes its possible value to future researchers utilizing our historical print archives and chronometer records". Richard Schmidt, USNO retired.

I wanted you and the others who positively commented and those who assisted on the article to share my own pride in this what I consider an accolade not only for me but the entire NAWCC.

Leigh Callaway likes this.
  9. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I have two Hamilton marine chronometers which I enjoy immensely. But I know nothing of their provenance. It would enhance my enjoyment of them to know something of where they may have served. Although, being fairly recent pieces (1943 and 1944), I am certain they wouldn't provide such an interesting history as Burt's Negus. I should re-read the article again.

10. gmeyer4

gmeyer4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Male
    CEO
    Morgan Hill
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

GREAT WORK Burt... Two Thumbs up

11. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

George,

That makes you,my friend and three others of the 44 members of this board, who viewed this thread and felt the article was worth commenting on.That's about what I expected. I have received messages and phone calls from collectors who have read and appreciated the article from Portsmith, Virginia to California and as far away as South America so I feel pretty good about that. I even received a email from Peter Linstead-Smith, OBE, Commander Royal Navy (Ret.) who wrote "I value the work you have done". So I'm pleased with that as he is a person who's opinion I do value. Having the article cataloged at the USNO library was just "icing on the cake".