burn-in stick shellac and alternatives

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I've been working on a bogus Korean Vienna regulator whose otherwise-okay wood and glass case has developed some open joints in the wood. The wood, presumably used when unseasoned, shrank a great deal, so I've been looking for the best way to fill in and otherwise disguise the cracks. I tried fooling with some stick shellac I inherited from the late David M Kinsler, and while I've gotten it to sort of work previously, I think I really need a proper burn-in soldering-iron thing and some of that burn-in release compound.

However, there seem to be alternatives to stick shellac, namely Mohawk Quick-Fill, which is a (fairly) hard melt-in finish-repair stick that doesn't need either the burn-in knife or the considerable skill required for stick shellac. Sez it'll work with any sort of heat gun, and it doesn't need the release compound, either. And it's sixty bucks for a twelve-stick kit.

Mohawk isn't very clever about names, so there's Mohawk Fill (wax crayons, basically) and there's Hard Fill (I think) and there's this Quick Fill. Does anyone have any experience with these various miracle finish-repair substances?

Mark Kinsler

Sooth

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2005
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
www.angelfire.com
Country
Region
I have two options for you: Wax (either special "fill-sticks" or regular crayola crayons in the correct shades - mixing and kneading may be required), or just wood filler, which (once dry and leveled smooth with the surface) you then colour match with paint and a bit of clear varnish/shellac over the top.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Thanks. One of the difficulties is that I'm not very skilled at this sort of thing, so I need a process that's relatively foolproof.
I shall explore further and report.

Mark Kinsler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hullah
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller