Bunn Special

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Shipsbell, Mar 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Shipsbell

Shipsbell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sometimes you get lucky and buy something from Ebay. Well I purchased a Bunn Special from a seller on Ebay and it turned out well. I have been looking for a Bunn Special but was hesitant to spend the $1900.00 the 60 hour cost. I found a 1920 Bunn Special at a price I was willing to pay about $450.00. I made an offer and he accepted he offer. When you buy on Ebay you never get the item you where hoping for. I did, I cleaned the movement and found all of the serials match on all plates, the balance wheel has the serial number scratched on one arm and it agrees. In researching the case I found that the case was from a company that sold cases to Illinois before the Bunn Special had a dedicated case. That as I remember was about 1924 or 25. (Someone will correct me). Now the dial, I like the cracks in the dial. It tells me that it's old and original. (I hope) anyway the bottom line is I was lucky and it's original. Sadly I have purchased item from members of the NAWCC and got ripped off at marts, enough said. Patrick

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Can you post some photographs of the watch.

Rob

3. Shipsbell

NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm sorry, the computer is not my strong suit and I haven't been able to move the pictures from the phone to the pc. I will not be able to post the pictures.
    The problem is not this site the problem is the computer put them somewhere and I can't find them. Patrick

4. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Patrick,

I am sorry if you have really had a bad experience buying watches at NAWCC Regionals. That said, I have been buying Bunn Specials at NAWCC Regionals for almost 40 years and have had generally wonderful experiences and purchases.

I want to ask you a question, and I know we aren't supposed to discuss prices for specific watches here but the prices you mention sound outrageous to me. Standard 60 hour Bunn Specials in wonderful original condition can now be purchased in any forum for a fraction of the $1,900 you mention and earlier Bunn Specials in wonderful original condition almost anywhere for way less than what you mention. When was the last time you attended and made purchases at an NAWCC event? Your experience certainly does not match mine.

5. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not to gang up on you, Patrick, but while prices at regionals and marts may be a bit higher than lets say Ebay, in many cases they are negotiable and you get to see them "in hand" to judge for yourself rather than rely on some staged photos that the seller made to show the best sides of his merchandise. I have only had one bad experience buying at a local mart when I was a new collector and had no idea what to look for and bought a watch without seeing if it worked properly. The only watches I have seen at the extreme prices you quoted were usually 14 or 18K cased or a super rare pinned plate early Waltham 1857. Glad you got a nice watch. I have had a mostly good experience on Ebay but have purchased a few dogs In hopes they were more than advertised. As you really get into the hobby, you become educated and a more discerning buyer.

179 likes this.
  6. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Patrick,

Since you're unable to post photos, would you care to share the trademark engraved inside the case back, i.e. Wadsworth Pilot, 20 - 25 year warranty, etc.?

Thanks,
    Robert

7. Shipsbell

NAWCC Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I stand corrected the prices are all over the board between 500.00 to over 4000.00. Just did a quick look at ebay.
    The case is a B & B Royal 20 year. Thanks for reading and having an interest. Patrick

8. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Keep trying with the photographs. You can even just use your phone to
    upload them. I would love to see your watch.

Rob

9. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Thanks,

I found this B & B trademark from a trademark book.

Robert

B & B Trademark - 20 Years.jpg

10. piedmontg

piedmontg Registered User

Jun 14, 2009
    I just got into collecting about a year ago. My "luck" on eBay is tempered with restricting my purchase to dealers who have 100% ratings, and accept returns. On one occasion I purchased from someone with over 3000 + and one negative but accepted returns.

In the last year I purchased 5 Bunn Specials ranging from model 9, model 14 - type 1, 3, 161. Mostly all well under the low mentioned above ( which is my top top max for any watch I have purchased). They need to be running and the dial virtually pristine, most have no hairlines. I take them apart and so far numbers match. I ask lots of questions and get extra photos. It is just doing your diligence, if no response to questions or no extra pictures I just move on there are plenty out there. In the process I have returned two watch's, not a Bunn, one was repaired and returned in working order, the other money back including shipping.

There are many trustworthy dealers out there, just find them and then like my favorite mushroom patch location, you keep some information under your hat. Wife and I did lots of flea market stuff over 30 or so years, got a real feel for dealers. Ebay is just another hunting ground, just need to learn the lay of the land, same with Marts or shops.

Knowledge is king and the ability to move on (hunt elsewhere) are both a buyers advantage.

Well there is one up in 15 min, see you later!

Bob