Bummer...The German Time Bomb

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Billy, Jan 29, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Billy

Billy Registered User

Dec 14, 2004
    Male
    Locomotive Inspector
    Western NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Out browsing antique stores over the weekend and spotted a box of 400 day clocks.
    $15 for 4 clocks, I thought, why not.
    Can always use the parts. The only one that caught my eye was the mini Schatz.
    Wasn't till I got home was I able to see what I bought.
    Pulled out a nice Elgin and gave it a half turn on the winding arbor and it started running!
    As I was checking out the other clocks, something clicked in the old memory banks, something I should know about that clock.

Checked out some posts on the dreaded German time bomb, sure enough, I got one. :eek:

So, its down in the basement for now, running down, (darn shame, keeping good time) so when the weather is better, it will be used for target practice. :biggrin:
    Billy

2. kirklox

kirklox Registered User

Dec 17, 2002
    These clocks are dangerous to work on unless YOU are forwarned and know that they are DANGEROUS.

<span class="ev_code_RED">They do not deserve to be destroyed.</span>

Oil it and let it run. Never wind it more than 3/4 way and enjoy its beauty.
    fixme7111936

3. Bill_NY

Bill_NY Registered User

May 23, 2005
    Billy,
    Was it in Salamanca? If so, I saw the same box and almost bought it but my wife thought my collection of 400 day clocks was quite large enough already! As Kirk wrote, don't destroy the Elgin, it will work fine if you just use precaution. Personally I only wind mine about halfway.

Bill

4. John Nagle

John Nagle Guest

winding fully will not hurt clock. There is a stopworks to prevent overwind. A metal pawl drops through a slot in the spring into a slot in the base to lock winding.
    The spring is a constant energy type (negator) that will supply as consistant an amount of energy that is possible from a mainspring. This is a fascinating clock when you start looking for all the innovations used in it.

5. Billy

Billy Registered User

Dec 14, 2004
    Male
    Locomotive Inspector
    Western NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Bill,
    Yeah, thats where I got them. Place was busy, helper walked up just as I noticed them, told her I would take them, so like I say didnt really see I what I got till I home.
    You have any luck finding project clocks there? I used to be able to find something every time we go, but its been dry for quite a while.

As far as the bomb goes, I was under the impression these clocks just self detonated if or when the plastic let loose. I put it under a plastic dome, so we'll just let it run for now.
    Billy

6. Bill_NY

Bill_NY Registered User

May 23, 2005
    Billy,
    We were there Saturday and it was very busy! No, I have not found any good buys there lately or at any of the other local spots. Stopped at the Orchard Park mall Monday following an appointment and found nothing there either. Have been noticing prices are climbing too.

7. Jeff C

Jeff C Registered User
    NAWCC Business

May 26, 2005
    Seven Fields, Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've read so much about these clocks on this board over the years and always chose to pass them up. Reading this makes me want one and now I want one. They are quite interesting in their own way.

8. Billy

Billy Registered User

Dec 14, 2004
    Male
    Locomotive Inspector
    Western NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, I agree, they are a pretty clock. I cleaned this one up and have it sitting the table, looks nice.

Hey Bill, ya saved me a trip :biggrin:, we were there a few weeks ago and found nothing.
    Other than the sad looking veinna style R&A hanging on the wall. Talk about prices! They only had a price tag of $599 :eek:
    Billy

9. Bill_NY

Bill_NY Registered User

May 23, 2005
    That vienna has been traveling. It is the same one that hung for years on the wall at the Courtyard in Clarence.
    Bill

10. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I first met the Negator Spring when I was using a Polaroid MP3 camera preparing my dissertation in 1964. I have always thought they were a brilliant idea. I did not realize they had been used in a clock. I think I will keep my eyes peeled for one.

I have had fantasies of converting a weight driven clock to Negator operation with a pair of spools in the botton of the case. I never did the calculation to see what length of run one might get. Has anyone ever done that?

11. John Nagle

John Nagle Guest

No, Hamilton Watch Co. had considered it at one time but the time of the electric watch had arrived and it never went any further. When you start examining the different concepts incorporated in this clock it becomes pretty fascinating.
    Probably the last mass produced mechanical clock with any new innovations.
    If memory serves me, which it often doesn't ,Hunter Mfg out of Philadelphia produced the first negator springs. they handed them out as novelties at an engineering expo held in Philly. I think it was in the late 40's.
    I have seen two different models, one had a regular hairspring and the other a reverse coil.

12. Stormy

Stormy Registered User

Jan 22, 2007
    I've ran across a couple of these clocks, but have never wanted to pay the price on the ones I've seen

Stormy

13. Grandpa

Grandpa Guest

Hi,

I was wondering if you could put a picture of this clock on the bb?

Never seeing one I would like to see one.

Are they really a bomb?:eek:

14. Michael Davies

Michael Davies Registered User

Nov 29, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Grandpa - search this site for "time-bomb" or "Haller time bomb" - and all will be revealed!

Michael Davies.

15. Michael Davies

Michael Davies Registered User

Nov 29, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Grandpa - I'll have another go - the new search system doesn't seem to work like the old one! The only way I could get to the relevant threads was to search on "Elgin" but only some of the appropriate postings came up.
    Can anyone else help on this please?

Michael Davies.

16. Bill_NY

Bill_NY Registered User

May 23, 2005
  17. Grandpa

Grandpa Guest

Thanks, I know what to look for now, and a good idea how to handle it.

I have worked on about 12ea. 400 day clocks and have 2 more to get going.

You have saved me future greif, blood and tears.

My membership in the NAWCC and the BB has just paid for itself.

Thank You,

Oh, are you getting the cold and snow in Ny that we are along the Lake in Pa.? I spent the morning clearing my drive way. We expect 12 to 24 inches of snow and minus 30 chill this affternoon.

Thanks again

Bill:)

18. Bill_NY

Bill_NY Registered User

May 23, 2005
    Yesterday we got 8-12". Today is sunny but Buffalo is getting hammered 30 miles north of us. We are under a winter storm warning tonight through Monday AM. High of 10 degrees F and lake effect to drop two feet of snow on us. Gotta love it!

19. Grandpa

Grandpa Guest

Thanks Bill,
    Yes we are also getting the cold, all single digits, last I looked it was 7 d f.
    Wind has been 30 mph gust to 45. Snow is blowing everywhere, white out make driving bad. several wrecks.

We had a little sun Sat morning but then the snow clouds started coming in off the lake.

Have a great day and keep warm

Bill:Party:

20. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The reason for partial winding on the "time bomb" is that if it does explode (remote chance, but it does happen) the stored power is less and more easily confined to the enclosed movement. If it blows through the side it can project glass fragments an amazing distance! I give them about three good turns and wait until they stop to rewind.

21. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will somebody please explain "negator spring"??

Inquiring minds need to know.

bangster

22. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bangster - a negator is like a reverse mainspring. It gets power by being UNwound (like a seat-belt spring). When it is fully "let down" it is highly compressed into a tight coil. The danger with them is that when they are under tension and quickly let loose they don't just "coil up" like you'd think but fly out in all directions, sometimes fragmenting in the process. They have great power and will break whatever is near, including human body parts. :)

23. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bangster, think of any common retractor spring. The spring that rewinds a metal tape measure, automobile seat belt retractor springs, small gas engine engine pull starters, etc etc.

These are also called Tensator springs, and generically "Constant Force Springs". Check this link for an example using a Tensator spring: http://users.actcom.co.il/meccano/tensator.html

The key characteristics are:
    1) When you unwind it, it wants to wind itself back up
    2) There is no friction between coils
    3) There is no change in torque as the spring is unwound

Here is a link to an experimental clock using a Tensator Spring: http://webpages.charter.net/clockdesigns/WC6.html

In principle, the constant force spring will provide much better performance to drive a clock than any of the customary mainsprings. The problem is that it requires two arbors, one on which to unwind it to power the clock (the power arbor), and another to allow it to rewind itself (the idler arbor). Tom McIntyre asked if anyone had applied one of these to a regulator style clock; to my knowledge no but there is no reason it could not be done and much more safely for an 8-day run than the huge spring needed for a 400-day run (the GTB). Even a 30-Day run design would be quite feasible.

In doing a quick web search I found there are 19 companies in the U.S. making these kind of springs (the automotive and small engine markets are HUGE), so they will not be hard to find. Anyone want to build a clock?

John Hubby

24. Eugene Bruce

Eugene Bruce Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 17, 2017
    In 1968 Texas Instruments produced an IBM compatible 10 1/2 inch computer tape drive with vacuum columns. It used a constant tension spring to counter balance the weight of the front plastic door which slid vertically in front of the tape reels.