• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

bulova wrist watch

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
I picked this up today and wondered about it. The movement has 9A on it, 80087 I think is the serial number, from what I can find I think the movement style was made about 1928, the case back says patented june 1924 on it, it is a gold filled clamshell type case, you pry one end up and it pops out of the front of the case. It has a small plastic cover over the rear of the movement with a brass ring holding it on. It did not run when I got it due to a broken stem. Once I got the movement out of the case and wound it, put a little oil in it, it started to run really well. What I would like to know is what is the number of the stem needed and what kind of crown is needed. The Bestfit catalog shows a 121F, I think, for a stem, is that correct? what type of crown would be appropriate? What type of watch band would have been on it? I will look for spring bars and a band the next meeting if the guy with the bands is there again. Any information is appreciated. 74612.jpg 74613.jpg 74614.jpg 74615.jpg

Samantha

Jun 28, 2009
Central Florida
Country
Region
Hi Richiec,
121F is the Bestfit stem number. It would have had a dress crown on it, with a recess in the back of the crown to accomodate the tube protruding out around the stem. (They didn't have dustproof crowns back then.) I would think that it originally had a strap on it. It looks like a white case, is that correct? (can't tell for sure from the picture)
Samantha
Samantha

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Actually yellow gold filled, once I got the green off of it. It runs really well, I picked up another crappy little 17 jewel watch called an "Andre Bouchard" 17 jewels with an expandable band that just needed a little tidying up and I am going to use it for a work watch for a while, cracked plastic crystal and all. I gave the case a bath in ammonia, soap and warm water and it looks kind of handsome. Anyhow, thanks for the information on the part numbers, NOW, where can I find these little pieces? Does anyone have a treasure trove of old parts that are willing to part with a crown and stem? I went through every wristwatch part I own, which is meager, and did not have one. I am willing to pay the going rate. And, Samantha, you are, as usual, really knowledgable and helpful.

Samantha

Jun 28, 2009
Central Florida
Country
Region
Jules Borel has the stem ($3.95), and I would suspect that Cas-ker, Livesay's, Frei and other would have it also. It is a tap 10 stem, so you will want to look for a tap 10 crown. Given that the watch has the tubular protrusion, it will probably be necessary to provide measurements (OD and length in MM's) to the material house, or else physically fit a crown to the case. You will also need to know what diameter crown you want. I can look through my old stock of crowns to see what I have. (I don't have the stem, I already checked)
Samantha

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Thanks, Samantha, I will contact these two sources and get a stem and maybe ask about a crown to fit, but, look through your stuff and let me know. The tube is .290 inches or 7.25 mm wide and about 2.5 mm deep.

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
Nice watch. Those yellow stains on the dial are probably nicotine and not radium burns. There are crowns that resemble small pocket watch crowns in a semi onion shape that would look good on that watch. Movement is a Font 1146.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
The unfortunate part about this movement, after getting it running and cleaned up I showed it to my wife and of course it hit the floor, not the carpet, and shattered the crystal, any ideas where there may be one available, it is curved, about 1 inch long by 3/4 inch wide. Thanks, sniffle, sniffle, again. I am so ticked, all i needed was a band and two spring bars and i had a nice dress watch. Couldn't drop the $5 wonder, no, never.

flynwill

NAWCC Member
Feb 1, 2007
Rolling Hills Estates, CA
flynwill.com
Country
Region
richiec;501936 said:
The unfortunate part about this movement, after getting it running and cleaned up I showed it to my wife and of course it hit the floor, not the carpet, and shattered the crystal, any ideas where there may be one available, it is curved, about 1 inch long by 3/4 inch wide. Thanks, sniffle, sniffle, again. I am so ticked, all i needed was a band and two spring bars and i had a nice dress watch. Couldn't drop the $5 wonder, no, never.
I've had good luck in the past by sending the case to Otto Frei in Oakland and having them fit a crystal. The cost was about $30... although it's been a while so you should probably call them first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent