Bulova Sea King 737 Movement Removal

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Maz, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:45 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Maz

Maz Registered User

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    London, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've recently purchased this Bulova Sea King 737 (11BLC Caliber) to practice disassembly and reassembly but before i've even removed the movement from the case i have an issue.

s-l1600_(5).jpg

I've removed the case back and the two screws holding down the movement but i'm struggling to take the movement out of the case. There is a spacer ring holding the movement but there seems to be an additional brass c-shaped ring between the spacer ring and case with a lip which the spacer ring is underneath so there does not seem to be any obvious way to get the movement out.

IMG_20200630_191607.jpg IMG_20200630_185728.jpg

I've considered this may be a front loaded watch but there is no obvious markings to denote this.

Has anyone worked with a similar watch and can advise how to get the movement out please.

Thanks in advance.

Maz
    My watchmaking journey!

2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    That C shaped ring is probably in a groove in the case and will just come out. It is probably a bit springy and will be easy to reinstall later.

You could also pull the crystal and then the dial and movement will come out the front, but that looks like a tension ring crystal so it may be a bit harder to do than usual.

The Bulova "Sea Whatever" cases are various waterproof experiments and they can be interesting/challenging. I think some of them are really cool.

3. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Longines used a similar ring but at least they put holes in the ends to put a tool in.

4. Maz

Maz Registered User

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    London, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Chris Radek , but come out how, i can fully rotate the spacer ring and movement but there is no obvious way that either unhooks from the C shaped ring to become free.

I have not tried removing the crystal as i do not have the relevant tool or aware of the correct technique to do so. Can you advise how i can do this please?

5. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Try tweaking either end of the C ring out of the groove. It should spring out.

6. Maz

Maz Registered User

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    London, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks roughbarked , from the rear of the case?

7. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  8. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you are only practicing disassembly be careful. The centre seconds pinion is easily lost and the third wheel may be damaged in attempting to remove the wheel pushed on it.

9. Maz

Maz Registered User

Jun 10, 2020
    Male
    London, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks roughbarked that worked, it's so simple when you know how :)

Thanks for the other tips too, this is actually part of a course i am undertaking, think this is now the 6th different caliber we have worked on.

10. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you aren't worried about originality and it is your watch, you may wish to drill a hole in each end of the spring holder to make it easier for next time.