Bulova school of watchmaking training manual

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by SpamLess, Sep 1, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SpamLess

SpamLess Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Male
    Semi-Retarded
    Florida/North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does anyone know the difference, if any, between the 12th Edition [1980] and the 13th Edition [2003] of this manual?
    I have a chance to buy the 1980 Edition for $50.00; and it is $150.00 for the newer, 13th edition. Both are in near perfect condition.
    For example, does the newer edition dwell into electronic movements, like tuning forks and quartz?
    Thank You In Advance...
    Bob B/SpamLess

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This question might better be asked of the vendors who are offering these books for sale. I would think that the 1980 edition would be the one most likely to have information on tuning fork (Accutron) than the 2003 edition. I have the 9th edition from 1968 which might be considered the heyday of the Accutron tuning fork watch. Yet my ninth edition makes nary a mention of Accutron (or even electronic) watches. By 2003, most watch companies in the same category as Bulova would much prefer that you replace a watch of theirs rather than fix​ it!

3. SpamLess

SpamLess Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Male
    Semi-Retarded
    Florida/North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The offering for the 1980 edition is from a private collector; while the newer edition is available from AMAZON; although both are most certainly venders; their only interest is in selling books and other products. One thing I noticed after reading the thought provoking reply was that the 13[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition had NOT been renamed “Bulova School of Watch-Selling Training manual”, and since NAWCC, NOT Bulova had a vested interest in the publication of at least the 2003 edition, it would seem logical to me that the focus of the manual would still be on repair.

Back to my original query; has the 2003 edition, reportedly published by NAWCC, included training methods for repairing electronic movements, as well as mechanical??

4. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Apparently my reply did nothing for you. Oh well! I tried! Best of luck finding out what you need to know.

5. Kevin Scott

Kevin Scott Registered User

Aug 2, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Don't know the answer to your original question. My 1975, 11th edition Bulova Training Manual only covers regular mechanical watches.

I am guessing that you want to buy one book that covers everything about watch repair. Don't think it exists, and if it did, it would have the footprint of the Bulova Manual and be about 10 feet high- thick.

I think you are better off with a good book on mechanical watches, a good book on Accutron, and a good book on quartz. Seems books that try to cover a big range of topics, do a poor job on all the topics.

6. SpamLess

SpamLess Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Male
    Semi-Retarded
    Florida/North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin-
    Thank You for your time, I think your reply answers part of the original question. After asking this question n a couple of different watch forums; I think most watchmakers and/or collectors have only one of these manuals. Therefore, to ask the difference between two different editions was probably in vain. Again, thank you for your time.
    Bob B

7. clockmendergb

clockmendergb New Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I personally think that the answer from Doug Sinclair was a really appropriate one.
    Having information on tuning fork Accutron in one book as to one without would be a bonus.
    You asked the difference between editions of the same book

Of course Kevin Scott covered it in a different way by suggesting buying separate books which is always nice as they tend to be more in depth on specifics.

One thing I can tell you is how much information these guys offer us less skilled Watchmakers.
    This is definitely a game of experience counts and this is a great forum
    Thank you all .