• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Electric WW Bulova Accutron Quartz Battery Replacement

Tom Noesges

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2006
Hi -

I have a customer who brought me an Accutron Quartz watch in which he
replaced the battery and the watch is still not working. Before I open
this case, is there something special required to get this watch to
run? What type of battery is indicated for this watch?

This watch was new in 1983.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Tom Noesges
Member NAWCC #163109, 400-Day #168, Georgia #24

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
The only way to determine the type of battery that this watch uses is to remove the back to determine the movement number.

Tom Noesges

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2006
Hi John -

I replaced the battery and still not working. Is there some procedure I am missing?

The contacts inside the watch (Minus is upper pointer and Plus is lower pointer in pic) are clean.

The 371 battery is an equivalent to the 605 indicated and I checked it with my volt meter. The meter indicates 1.55 volts.

Any help please ...

Thanks and regards,
Tom Noesges
NAWCC 163109

Attachments

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
Tom

As far as putting the battery goes you're doing it right. Sometimes the insulator falls out yours is visible so that's ok. In the picture the crown appears to be pulled out the watch will not run unless the crown is in.

One of the problems with quartz watches is that it's commonly thought that changing the battery will fix all problems. The analog quartz watch has gears that are lubricated the same as a mechanical watch and like a mechanical watch they need to be cleaned/lubricated from time to time. The other problem quartz watches have is the electrical circuit and/or coil may be bad.

Tom Noesges

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2006
John,

I did try it with the crown pushed in.

I'm going to take it to a local watch shop here in Woodstock for cleaning and inspection. Thanks so much.

Tom

Tom Noesges

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2006
Hi -

All done. The Bulova Accutron Quartz takes a Bulova #605 battery cell or equivalent. A few drops of watch oil to lube up the 20+ year old analog movement and he is running.

Thanks for helping out,
Tom Noesges
NAWCC 163109

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent