Electric WW Bulova accutron 2181 quartz conversion

aalinaman

Oct 8, 2012
I have a bulova accutron 2181 that is done for. The case is a solid gold case and i would like to still wear the watch. Does anyone know what quartz movement I could replace the 2181 with?

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
I agree with Electro. But to each their own.

You might check into accuquartz. Not sure if they would fit but Samantha would know. One thing I can say about the genuine 218 movement is they are allot more interesting than a regular old quartz. The second hand sweeps flawlessly not jerky like a quartz and the hum of an Accutron is a pleasant thing to hear.

Samantha

Jun 28, 2009
Central Florida
Country
Region
aalinaman,
Years ago, Bulova provided a quartz retrofit kit for the 218's. It used a Swiss ETA movement, and was pretty good. However, nowadays I would recommend replacing the movement with another working 218 movement. The 218 is a good movement, and that would retain the originality of the watch. As RJ suggested, an Accuquartz movement would also fit in your case, however a working 224 (Accuquartz) movement may be harder to find.
Samantha

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
I recall having seen a number of these "conversions" over the years. Samantha mentioned an ETA or ESA movement that was often used for this conversion. If the movement Samantha mentioned is the movement I have in mind, the conversion was crude. The calendar on the movement didn't line up perfectly with the opening in the dial, and the dial was held on with sticky tape, or glue! When you say the movement is "done for", can you elaborate? I would suggest that you only come to that conclusion after someone well acquainted with these movements has deemed it so! If someone at the local shopping centre watch repair kiosk told you that, I suggest that you should take that diagnosis with a grain of salt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krion
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre