Bulova Accutron 14k Asymmetrical

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Rick Hufnagel, Mar 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I get a strange amount of people who want batteries changed in their wrist watches... as soon as they see my pocket watch. Usually nothing exciting. Sometimes a cool Seiko or something like that, but this one took me by surprise.

As soon as I saw it, I flat out told him that I wouldn't touch it.. but it's a personal friend and I agreed to change the battery. I did, and after giving it the little accutron love tap on the side it ran, for about 5 seconds. So it was returned this morning with a note and a business card for someone who really knows these pieces. Also included was a strong suggestion to change that lug eating expansion band.

I really hope he gets it repaired, as he is the original owner! It's an impressive piece of gold and engineering!

So anyways, I wanted to post some pictures just for fellows to see, and ask if maybe anyone knows what model it is. I spent a few hours searching over the weekend and haven't seen another quite like it. Any information I can pass on to the owner would be appreciated! Or if someone could point me in the right direction, I wouldn't mind learning a thing or two about these great watches.

Thanks for any consideration! I did not take the back off, apologies. I'm really not a fan of messing with someone elses gold watch! The battery cover was already beat up.

According to the M1 date code, I've learned it's from 1961, so a pretty early piece!

IMG_20200308_133435493.jpg IMG_20200308_133528690.jpg

2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    It's an Alpha, one of the first Accutron models. It's beautiful. Might just need service.

Too bad about the battery hatch - a dime fits them perfectly, and doesn't mess them up.

Rick Hufnagel likes this.
  3. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thank you sir! Geez, just typed in Alpha and get a mess of hits, can't believe I didn't find that! Awesome.

Yes it's sad about the hatch, I didn't think about a dime, I formed a piece of nylon plastic and it worked. Looks like someone tried a DeWalt in the past.

I dont think he realized what he had. I don't even think he knew it was all gold. It was a gift. I really hope he goes through with getting it taken care of.

4. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    This ad shows it, second from the left. It's from the partly-still-working dashto.com, where Tom Mister collected together a bunch of early ads.

http://www.dashto.com/images/AccutronHistor/jbowman1.jpg

He says about this ad:
    This may well be the first Accutron sales pamphlet released by Bulova, circa 1960-61. It seems to pre-date even the use of the tuning fork logo. Many thanks to John Bowman for the use of his pics.​

5. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is great! Wow, the old inflation calculator says this watch would be $2,156 today.

Nice add, thanks for that. Look at all those neat styles.