Bulls eye glass

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Les harland, Aug 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Were the "bulls eye glasses" used in older pocket watches a fashion or was it something to do with the way they were made?

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This earlier thread seems to have come to no conclusion. We are used to seeing pontil marks ground out on glassware but that may just have contributed to it as a fashion

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?6376-Glass-Bullseye-PW-Crystals

3. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is an interesting thread, Thanks Nick
    I tried the Forum Search feature but did not find it because I searched for "Bulls eye" not "Bullseye"

4. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I searched google and that was one of the results.

5. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Les,

I believe that it was more to do with fashion, and was mostly a late 18th and 19th century thing, because the earlier crystals were plain, without the ground flat portion in the centre. These high domed crystals were cut from a large blown glass sphere, so pontil marks weren't involved in the manufacturing process.

Regards,

Graham

6. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    if I remember correctly, this Liebig image was posted by Tom McIntyre.

makingcrystalsfront.jpg

regards enrico

7. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User

Sep 22, 2015
    Retired Systems Architect
    France
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    At the beginning of the C19th given a blown glass sphere how would you produce a watch lens?

1. set a diamond tipped compass to the radius of the required lens
    2. use a hard pointed implement to create a small indentation in the surface of the sphere
    3. use this as the centre and score a circle with the diamond tipped compass
    4. repeat 3 over the useable surface of the sphere
    5. carefully break out the circular pieces of glass
    6. grind and then polish out the indentations and finish the lens edge
    Result – bulls eye lens.

Just a thought … I find it difficult to believe it was solely down to fashion and prefer to believe it was in some way related to the manufacturing process – but not necessarily my 'top of the head' suggestion.

John

8. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi John,

Your suggestion is possible, but the illustration clearly shows the work being done from the inside of the spheres.

Regards,

Graham

9. eri231

eri231 Registered User

Jan 13, 2012
    torino italy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is obvious that , working from the inside the cut was flat, to be inserted in the bezel.
    regards enrico

10. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    #10 Omexa, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Hi John, having worked in the Optical Trade, (Did my Apprenticeship) in the 1950's with E Wood & Co., I think that this method would result in lots of shattered Spheres. In the Movies it looks easy, but it is not. I looked in a Drawer and I still have a Circular Cutter, the Rubber Pad has perished. I might fix it up as I need a Glass for a Mercer Bulkhead Clock that I am fixing up. Regards Ray

11. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The thing that amazes me is that I have seen pictures of surviving spheres with most of the crystals cut from them but the sphere intact. That seems to prove that some of them were cut from the outside.

I agree with the view that the bulls eye was a fashion trend of the late 18th and first half of the 19th century.

The other thing one could do to understand this process better would be to measure the height and diameter of some of the very high dome crystals that still exist on the market and are often seen on the early 18 century watches. I suspect that those spheres were pretty small to start with to get the extreme curvature.

12. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tom,

Yes indeed, only around 3 or 4 inches in diameter, or even less.

It's not easy to make out the exact nature of the tools being used in that image in post #6.

Philip Priestley wrote an article on the subject in the December 2009 issue of the Bulletin.

Regards,

Graham

13. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I love glass, but I'm rubbish at working it. I find the idea of making the spheres and cutting the circles amazing. I've seen watch glasses made by the slump method, such skill.

I love finding glass in a longcase showing the circular rings from production.

14. Omexa

Omexa Registered User

Feb 28, 2010
    Hi Tom, that sure must take some Skill.
    Here is a Photo of how we cut different shaped Lens; you put different templates on the bottom View attachment 352727 . We edged on a Sandstone Wheel going away from you in rotation using water on the Stone. We later used Diamond impregnated Wheels. Regards Ray

15. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am not sure that anyone other than a chemist would recognize the term "watch glass" as a small dish used to monitor the evaporation process of a solution.

I once bought a watch from a friend who had ground a "watch glass" to make a crystal for a late 18th century watch case. It was awfully thick and I replaced it with a correct crystal eventually.

16. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We use them at school, so pretty much anybody who goes to secondary school in the UK will be familiar with them.

17. Jim Shewchuk

Jim Shewchuk Registered User

Jul 31, 2014
    #17 Jim Shewchuk, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    While sorting some ancient glass crystals that had jumped between bins during a move, I have also encountered the term "Bullseye" used in reference to some pocket watch crystals with a roughly 1cm diameter thicker portion in the middle inner surface. (for "hunter case" pocket watches that had a hole in the middle of the cover to view the time without opening)

While the re-ground "watch glass" lens mentioned yesterday might not have been appropriate for the watch it got mounted in, it seems that some pocket watch models from my grandparents era were designed for window-glass thicknesses: some of those ancient 20 ligne crystals were 4mm thick with a 60 degree beveled edge.

Although that is where the term still survives, "watch glass" has not always been confined to the chemical sciences. Some of the older watch parts catalogs from the early 1960s also referred to the smaller domed clock crystals in the 2 inch area as "watch glasses"

18. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    watch glasses for use in Chemistry are generally around 2mm thick, just under. We use them in Physics at school as bearings for electrostatic rods.

19. Jim Shewchuk

Jul 31, 2014
    As are most of the domed mantel clock crystals I've encountered. The 4mm example referred to a super-thick style of pocket watch crystal I had encountered during sorting those mixed-up crystals. (presumably rarely used because any impact sufficient to break one would likely also severely trash the movement)

20. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've always wondered why they were called watch glasses, they are generally clock sized.

21. Jim Shewchuk

Jul 31, 2014
    This is just a guess, but since some of the largest pocket watches did come close (I've encountered a single surviving example of a pocket watch case using a 22 ligne glass [49.6 mm / 1.95 inches]) to crossing over into using the smaller end of the clock glasses, I suspect that some even larger examples existed in the distant past similar to today's "wrist clocks". (a local nickname for wrist watches with 40+ mm crystals)

22. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I think you are right, it's probably a very old term.

23. dshumans

dshumans Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I always presumed that the true bulls eye crystals were used to let the watch be placed dial down and stay level, and to make the watch a bit thinner. I have a number of old bulls eye crystals and they are from quite thick glass originally, then ground flat from the outside on the top.