Chronometry: Bulletin Chronometers

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Dr. Jon, Dec 9, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This section has developed into a discussion of navigation timepieces, but the term "chronometer" is also in use to describe any timepiece that meets certain performance standards, COSC being the current most visible example.

When the Swiss began testing timepieces to specific performance they referred to all timepieces submitted as chronometers, the fine distinction being which level testing was applied and how well they did. Even if a timepiece did not earn a "Bulletin" it was still referred to as a chronometer.

So, are discussion of these timepieces on topic in this section?

2. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 burt, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Dr. Jon,

I think and hope so. Chronometers of all types are interesting and have be used throughout history for a variety of functions.

Here is one you personally helped me sort out a few years ago. It's a Swiss pocket chronometer by Louis Montandon No.# 172 circa. 1865. It's a gilt finished 19 jewel model of approximately 20 size. It features a helical hairspring, and is a free sprung pivoted detent escapement with a what you referred to as a rare (for the origin) reverse fusee. I think the conclusion was that is was probably made for the English market. Since last posted on the European forum I've modified the crown/pendent and bow, on the replacement glass back case to better reflect it's a key wind watch.

Pocket chronometer 003.jpg Pocket chronometer 004.jpg Pocket chronometer 002.jpg Pocket chronometer 005.jpg

3. Luis Casillas

Luis Casillas Registered User

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My take is this: the scope of the subforum should more or less coincide with that of well-regarded books, articles and collections about chronometers and portable precision timekeeping.

Note that this criterion can be construed rather broadly, because Randall's catalog of the Time Museum's "chronometers" includes not just detent escapement timepieces and lever "deck watches," but also:

1. 18th century lever escapement watches;
    2. Tourbillons and karrusels;
    3. A variety of 19th and 20th century high precision lever timepieces;
    4. Unusual experimental precision timepieces.

I'll note that I'm saying all this as my opinion as a participant of the forum, and not as a rule as its moderator. I'd rather listen to participants' opinions first!

4. Luis Casillas

Luis Casillas Registered User

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To expand on my comment, now that I am at home I think it's worth quoting Randall's Time Museum Catalogue of Chronometers, p. vi:

I think this is a good guideline, but not necessarily the last word either.

5. tick talk

tick talk Registered User

Sep 16, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Question...I've covered a couple of V&C bulletin chronometers in my blog but would it be of value to re-post them in this forum?