Bulle BULLE DIAL

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by jkfabulos, May 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. jkfabulos

jkfabulos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO POLISH THE BEZELS ON THIS BULLE DIAL.
    I SEE OTHERS HAVE DONE IT BUT I MUST BE MISSING SOMETHING. SINCE THE DIAL CANNOT BE REMOVED HOW DO YOU POLISH WITHOUT DESTROYING THE DIAL?

bl1.jpg

2. sophiebear0_0

sophiebear0_0 Registered User

Nov 5, 2012
    Jim

You're right that the bezel cannot be removed.

The best approach is to use thin brass shims to protect the dial face and clean the bezel with fine grade wire wool There are more details shown in the Horologix Restoration # 6792

Regards,

Peter

3. jkfabulos

jkfabulos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001
    I used 0.005 sheet brass cut to fit and it amazingly slid right under the inner edge of the bezel allowing through polishing of the bezel.
    I reviewed the Horologix restoration but it did not have any info on how to protect the finish after polishing. You would have to be very careful with whatever you
    use as getting anything on the dial surface will be impossible to remove.
    I am thinking possibly a little hard paste wax on a soft cloth while still using the shim under the bezel would be the safest.
    Thanks for the help.
    Jim

4. sophiebear0_0

sophiebear0_0 Registered User

Nov 5, 2012
    Jim

Good that it worked. I agree you would have to be careful with any treatments hoping to preserve the finish. Lacquer would be too risky, so i agree with using micro-crystalline wax. I find it does a pretty good job in protecting brass - and its easy to apply with a soft cloth. the brass will "age" more than when using lacquer, but providing the ageing is uniform it will still look good.

Regards,

Peter