Bulk Dials to Jewelers

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Tref, Oct 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tref

Tref Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    So we know that Hamilton offered just about any dial it produced on any movement on which they would fit, especially in the earlier years (pre-1940). But regardless of when the factory supplied loose dials to jewelers and jobbers, how were they shipped? We see containers for movements and other parts but I can't recall every seeing a box or container of any sort that would have help bulk dials sent from the factory. Does anyone know how they were packaged, whether individually or in quantities larger than one?

2. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can't answer all of your question but I have seen at shows 18s Metal painted dials that were available from the Material dept shipped in cardboard boxes with heavy stock paper between the dials.

My observations, over the years, would strongly indicate that no special containers were used to ship dials in.

If so, someone would have seen or saved one;)

3. LloydB

LloydB Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've seen exactly the same, containing
    conversion dials for Elgin HTG movements.

4. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Not sure I agree with this Tref. I suppose a jeweler could make a custom order and a jeweler could certainly order any Hamilton dial and put it on a new watch for a customer but I think most Hamilton grades had specific dials or sets of dials which were standard issue from the factory.

5. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    But John, the material department would certainly be free to sell dials, they are listed in the material catalogs... and it helps explain the existence of four foot dials with very late "fonts"

6. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    All I am arguing is how watch movements left the factory. We can probably all agree that the factory had dials or sets of dials which typically went with specific grades. The late 4 footers with more modern fonts were replacements for the most part.

7. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John,
    I think we are getting a little sidetracked with this.. Hamilton had agents and the customer could order any dial they wanted on specific movement through them.

Tref's question was about how the dials could be shipped and I think they were not available as bulk stock dials and were not available to agents as such.

They were available in later years as a "replacement part" but mostly as copies of the original, mainly are painted dials.

So, I would go back to my answer in post 2 .