Clock Building John Wilding’s small Tower Clock

Discussion in 'Highlights' started by Raynerd, Nov 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Raynerd

Raynerd Registered User

Apr 11, 2004
    Teacher of Chemistry
    Manchester - UK
    Country Flag:
    #1 Raynerd, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2020
    Evening all

It has been quite some time since I built a clock from scratch. I’ve been busy with work and any time in the workshop I’ve spent working on my Cowells lathes. I’ve always wanted to build a Tower Clock and I’ve finally taken the plunge. I’m not entirely sure what I’m up against so I’m sure I’ll be posting plenty of questions on here as well as showing my progress! I have an idea where the final clock will go and hopefully it will drive an external dial. I’m sure it won’t be a quick project but with winter on it’s way, I’m hoping to spend some time in the workshop and hope to have it complete early in the new year.
    The plans have designs for both a deadbeat and a grasshopper escapement. I’m going to make it difficult and go for the grasshopper! The plans also show the option of chime and auto winding but these can be added at a later date!

Wilding suggests using aluminium or steel due to the cost of brass. I was inclined to agree but after pricing it all up and with the understanding that the clock will be on full show in my dining room, I went with all brass.

Part 1: introduction and Pillars.

Original Content