• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Building a watchmaker's lathe countershaft

cazboy

Apr 27, 2006
Prescott Valley, Arizona
dougsclocks.hpage.com
Country
Region
I guess you all know I'm going through a big learning curve with my Rivett lathe. Speed control, type of oil to use, all kinds of stuff.

So I've decided to build a countershaft. I already have a small diameter (3/4") step cone pulley. It has a 1/4" bore. But now I need a larger diameter (3-1/2"? 4"? 5"?) step cone pulley to mount on the same shaft, and I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Has anyone here ever built a homemade countershaft? Where can I find a larger diameter step cone pulley with a 1/4" bore? I've looked all over the usual places like McMaster Carr, MSC, Enco, etc. Help guys! Thanks. I'm attaching a picture of a step cone pulley to show what I mean.

Attachments

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Hi
If worst comes to worst, you have a lathe. You
can turn some sleaves in brass to adapt a larger
shaft down to 1/4 inch.
Tinker Dwight

the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
Doug,

Try a more specialized shop to find your sheave. A bearing supply house will be able to get you any sheave available. You will need one that has small grooves like a size A or even smaller depending on the size of your drive belt. As an example, I use Future Bearings because they are local to me. http://www.futurebearings.com/main.htm

If you can’t find what you want turn up a custom one.

Regards,

Jeff

StephanG

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Country
As a short term solution you can make one from wood.

Use a bit of brass say 1/2 inch and add the 1/4 hole and a grub screw at one end. Press this into a bit of nice timber ( drill a slightly smaller hole first ) and then turn the groves as required. Rough up the OD of the brass a bit to help it grip. Perhaps file some flats on it.

This will get you going and then you can make a nicer pulley from metal at your leisure.

gvasale

NAWCC Member
Mar 30, 2005
webster, Ma
Country
Region
I don't know why you want a larger cone pulley. I think one that mirrors the one you have would do. Another thought if you are determined to get higher speed would be to use another intermediate shaft. Plus, I wouldn't expect to find a pulley of the quality your looking for in any non clock/watch supply stream. Used at a Mart, yes. Otherwise you might have to make one.

cazboy

Apr 27, 2006
Prescott Valley, Arizona
dougsclocks.hpage.com
Country
Region
Thanks guys. The pulley I already have (the one with the 1/4" bore) is a small one, it's one of the ones that go on the end of the shaft of a lathe motor. It has three steps. So maybe I don't need another step pulley after all - maybe what I need is a single larger-diameter pulley!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent