Build Your Own Clock at the NAWCC

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Katie Knaub, May 8, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Katie Knaub

Katie Knaub Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 7, 2007
    NAWCC's Newest Clock Workshop!- available at the NAWCC education facilities in Columbia, PA

Build a Clock: Design and Construction 1 &2 are designed to familiarize students with the basic elements of clock design and construction. The first course is required and covers the theoretical basis for clock design and an introduction to the tools and machines used in clock construction. The second class will focus on the skills and techniques used in clock construction. Students will “build” their own clock using the gearing and escapement from a small German clock movement (Regula AM44). This conversion will familiarize students with most aspects of clock construction and allow them to complete their clock in the sort time available. All clocks will be constructed to the same design as time will not allow for individual customization. This is an ambitious project and some prior experience with a lathe and mill will greatly increase the chance the student will complete the project; however, we will attempt to accommodate anyone who is interested.

Part I will cover:
    · Pendulum Theory
    · Gear train calculations
    · Gear Design and cutting (demonstration)
    · Escapement Theory and design (Recoil and Dead Beat)
    · Materials
    · Measurement and Blueprint Reading
    · Introduction to the Lathe and Mill

Part II will cover:
    · Using the Lathe
    · Using the Drill Press
    · Using a fly cutter on the Mill
    · Using an End Mill
    · Filing
    · Tapping screw holes

This new workshop is available on the following dates: click on the links for more information and the registration link.

Build a Clock: Design and Construction I: June 1-2 (WS-190) Saturday-Sunday
    Build a Clock: Design and Construction II: June 8-9 (WS-191) Saturday-Sunday
    Build a Clock: Design and Construction I: June 15-16 (WS-190)
    Saturday-Sunday
    Build a Clock: Design and Construction II: June 17-18 (WS-191) Monday-Tuesday
    Build a Clock: Design and Construction I: July 11-12 (WS-190) Thursday-Friday
    Build a Clock: Design and Construction II: July 13-14 (WS-191) Saturday-Sunday

Attached Files: