Buco Mantle clock instructions?

Teckelhut

NAWCC Member
May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
I found this at a local sale for next to nothing. I bought it because its cool looking and I also happened to have a little pencil sharpener that looks just like it. It states BUCO SWISS BAUMANN LTD CH-9444 DIEPOLDSAU on the back. I googled that info and can find absolutely NO instructions on how to run it. The only info I was able to find out it is that it was made in late 60's - early 70's. I can find instructions for the wall clock made by the same company but not for this mantle clock made by them. Would anyone happen to have a link to instructions or a video on how to run it?

Below is a photo.

Buco clock.jpg

And, just for fun, this is my little pencil sharpener.

s-l1600.jpg

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
They are not all that complicated. Wind it up and give the wag arm a shove. If nothing is broken, it should able to run. You move the weights in or out on the arms to adjust the time keeping. The only critical part is to ensure the thread actually suspends the wag arm and pallet assembly.

Teckelhut

NAWCC Member
May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
They are not all that complicated. Wind it up and give the wag arm a shove. If nothing is broken, it should able to run. You move the weights in or out on the arms to adjust the time keeping. The only critical part is to ensure the thread actually suspends the wag arm and pallet assembly.
Hum. Well I am no clock expert just a collector. I dont see a thread on this and I have no idea what the pallet assembly is. Still learning about clocks. Sorry about that. I did wind it though. I figured that part out anyway. The wood part is kinda dirty. What should I clean it with?

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
Bush the dirt off and wipe it over with a damp cloth. I'll move this over to clock repair where I think you will get more replied. Here is a picture of the thread I am talking about:
Thread.jpg

Here is the part that needs to be suspended by the thread:
collet.jpg

Teckelhut

NAWCC Member
May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
Bush the dirt off and wipe it over with a damp cloth. I'll move this over to clock repair where I think you will get more replied. Here is a picture of the thread I am talking about:
View attachment 725902

Here is the part that needs to be suspended by the thread: View attachment 725903
Thank you! Now I understand what that little wooden pin is up there for. To keep the thread from coming off. I have thread so this will be easy. Thank you again!

Reactions: leeinv66

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
These are novelty clocks that don't really run all that well. They only have one hand, mostly because they aren't very reliable as time keepers. They take a lot of power to run. Their most enduring feature is that they're cool to watch. They copy the crude attempts at clock making from long ago. ;)

Teckelhut

NAWCC Member
May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
They have one hand because thats the way things were done back in the 1400's, That is also where the saying 1/4 past, half past, etc. came from. You looked at the clock and you would tell what the 1/4 were per hour. I got it running but the springs need a good cleaning as they are coated in dust and old sticky oil. Im going to take it to a clock smith friend of mine who can do that.

James Lucas

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2020
Came across this buco in a friends garage. The only this missing was the wooden ball. Cleaned it up but as you can see in the video the string catches the rods some times then misses.. Anyone know what I might make as an adjustment?

Teckelhut

NAWCC Member
May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
After watching the video a couple times I'm thinking maybe its not flipping around hard enough to swing the ball out wide enough to catch the rod? Or maybe the ball is not heavy enough for a wide enough swing? But thats just my thoughts. I have the other kind with the weights.

James Lucas

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2020
After watching the video a couple times I'm thinking maybe its not flipping around hard enough to swing the ball out wide enough to catch the rod? Or maybe the ball is not heavy enough for a wide enough swing? But thats just my thoughts. I have the other kind with the weights.
Actually the ball hits the back of the clock on occasion. I thought that was slowing it down so I shortened the string but no luck.. Thanks for you response
James

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Try adjusting the top wire on each side. That one is more like the flying ball clocks. The ball can't be too heavy either.

James Lucas

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2020
Try adjusting the top wire on each side. That one is more like the flying ball clocks. The ball can't be too heavy either.
Made the adjustment to the top wire.. Been running for 24 hr.. Thanks for the tip..
James

Reactions: shutterbug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dad.watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent