Buco 1670 clock repair

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Denise, Mar 31, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Denise

Denise Registered User

Mar 31, 2012
    Greetings. My buco 1670 clock won't operate. It runs for 30 to 40 sec and stops any suggestions

2. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First DENISE; WELCOME! Welcome to a great buncha folks who love those who ask questions and the clocks they have.
    Now: We'll need a little more info. I'm very familiar with the 1670. To date, what kind of work has been performed on this clock? This clock like all others needs dismantled, cleaned, and adjusted before it will become reliable. What has been done so far and how heavy is the big and little weight that powers it?

3. Denise

Denise Registered User

Mar 31, 2012
    I'm so happy you responded. I have done nothing to click as fr as service. I just received from someonewhere it has been hanging and not working for years the weights are two sizes. The larger and heavier on the left and the shorter on right

4. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Understand: Large weight to left but how much does it weigh and how much does small weight weigh. I reiterate: It does need cleaned and cleaning may be it's only problem. To clean it, clock must be totally disassembled. Only after that can operation be restored and adjustments meaningful. It may need adjustments to the escapement. When you toss the pendulum, can you hear it tick and does the ticking sound regular - rhythmic?

5. Denise

Denise Registered User

Mar 31, 2012
    Thanks so much for reply. I will weigh weights when I get home. I can her the clock tick when the pendulum is swayed and it sounds in sync to me as far as I know for the short time it runs then stops Would you be willing to service clock for me. Thank you for your time. Denise

6. Denise

Denise Registered User

Mar 31, 2012
    Hello again Scott. I did weigh the weights the best I believe on my kitchen scale. The larger one seems to weigh 4 3/4 pound and the smaller 3/4 pound. Hope that is useful to you. Thank you. Happy holiday. Denise

7. DJN

DJN New Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #7 DJN, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    I recently purchased 3 Buco Baumann 1670s in various states of disrepair. I have fabricated new pulleys from dowel rods and made weights from PVC pipe and steel BBs. I am using long dowel rods for the pendulum rods. I fabricated a connector from a square wood dowel. Does anyone know how to orient the "fingers" and the shaft relative to the pendulum? I'm sure there is an optimal length and angle so the "fingers" engage the pins correctly. I think the shaft that ultimately connects to the pendulum is also out of alignment.

IMG_1731.JPG IMG_1732.JPG IMG_1733.JPG IMG_1734.JPG IMG_1735.JPG image.png image.png image.png