Broken Tallcase Pinion Leaf - Advice Needed

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
Good evening. Sadly, the English tallcase movement I'm playing with seems to have been hiding a pretty disappointing missing pinion leaf on the gear that trips the bell hammer -- I can see some porosity and crystallization --- perhaps the spring was made too strong on the hammer, and some backlash cracked this leaf free some time ago. (disappointing cartoon sound effect) ---- anyway -- does anyone have a good method of solving this, short of a complete re-cut, which is beyond my skill level. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1166.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Your best bet is to have one made for you. I often farm out that kind of repair to David LaBounty. He does great work at a reasonable price. I'm sure there are others capable of making a new arbor for you too.

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Good evening. Sadly, the English tallcase movement I'm playing with seems to have been hiding a pretty disappointing missing pinion leaf on the gear that trips the bell hammer -- I can see some porosity and crystallization --- perhaps the spring was made too strong on the hammer, and some backlash cracked this leaf free some time ago. (disappointing cartoon sound effect) ---- anyway -- does anyone have a good method of solving this, short of a complete re-cut, which is beyond my skill level. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 549965
There are three options that I can see.

(1) If for preservation or value reasons, it can be repaired. In this case, a slot can be machined about half depth into the arbor and a new leaf blank silver soldered in place. The blank would then be machined to match the other leafs.

(2) In some lucky cases, pinion wire is available in appropriate size requiring only that the arbor be machined.

(3) Your most likely option will be to have a new pinion/arbor machined as mentioned by Shutterbug.

Jerry Kieffer

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
(2) In some lucky cases, pinion wire is available in appropriate size requiring only that the arbor be machined.
Jerry,
I never had luck finding pinion wire suitable for clocks. What I found was much too large and had the wrong tooth profiles. Is there a source for them still around?
Uhralt

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Jerry,
I never had luck finding pinion wire suitable for clocks. What I found was much too large and had the wrong tooth profiles. Is there a source for them still around?
Uhralt
Uhralt
As mentioned , its a get lucky thing, but one never knows.

I generally google my exact needs, but when that fails to work my favorite source is the following link.
Miniature Metric Gears - SDP/SI

I generally call and discuss my needs. Very helpful people.

Jerry Kieffer

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Uhralt
As mentioned , its a get lucky thing, but one never knows.

I generally google my exact needs, but when that fails to work my favorite source is the following link.
Miniature Metric Gears - SDP/SI

I generally call and discuss my needs. Very helpful people.

Jerry Kieffer
Thank you Jerry!
It's amazing what you can find when you know where to look! And the prices seem to be quite reasonable.

Uhralt

David D'Apice

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2012
Country
You guys are the best ----- I didn't know any of these resources even existed --- you learn something new every day! Thank you so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike Craft
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre