Broken Lyre pendulum repair

kologha

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern Cape SA
Country
Hi everyone. I have been requested to repair a broken Lyre pendulum which I think is from a Kieninger longcase clock. The owner (who lives about 100 kilometres away) tells me that while she was pulling up the weights, the pendulum unhooked and crashed down to the bottom of the case. When she retrieved it she found that the shock had broken the upper plastic piece which supports the rods and which has the pendulum hook attached. A new pendulum is out of the question as it would be far too expensive here in South Africa. I am in the process of making a new piece from brass to which I will secure the rods and the hook. My question is: what will be the result of adding weight to the upper end of the Lyre pendulum, will it speed up or slow down the time keeping? Brass being heavier than plastic and the new piece will be a bit larger than the original plastic piece, I am sure there will be some effect and depending on what it is, I can try to compensate a bit by securing the hook a few mm higher or lower. All comments will be appreciated. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S. Attar
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller