Brocot Escapement - Need Opinions

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by djstucker, Mar 14, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. djstucker

djstucker Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 28, 2016
    Engineer
    Valencia, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So I have an Ansonia Crystal regulator I rebuilt the movement on about 6 months ago. I completely overhauled it, bushings, polished the pivots, etc. I installed one new jewel that was missing and verified the escapement dimensions were correct. It ran okay, but you could definitely see it was low on power. It would occasionally stop; I went through the whole movement again with no issues found. I have always read that you should never oil a jeweled Brocot, so naturally, I didn't. After monkeying with this thing on and off over several months, I finally decided before I tear it down again, let me try a tiny amount of oil on the escapement pallets. Wouldn't you know it; it is running amazingly well with twice the amount of pendulum swing that it had. The drops look much more snappy. So, what is everyone's opinion on this? I have heard arguments both ways. Oil or no oil?

2. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With the exception of a Daniels watch escapement you always oil or lubricate the escapement, I use an escapement grease 9415 which works really well, stays put doesn't run away like oil can.

I have no idea why people think just because the pallets are jewelled you don't need oil, watch escapements have jewelled pallets, it they are not lubricated the watch will run for a while but will give a bad action and eventually will stop.

3. djstucker

NAWCC Member

May 28, 2016
    Engineer
    Valencia, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm with you. Friction is friction. Even though the jewel is very smooth, you still have two surfaces sliding across each other, and when there is not a whole lot of torque (as there is not at the end of the train) it doesn't take much friction to slow/stop the action. I'm convinced I should lube them from now on.

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting thread, i would have thought of not lubing them. I have found with watches, some run better with a dab on the pallet faces and some do not run better.

5. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    I was taught to oil both faces of each pallet stone and not oil the pivots.
    Mostly, a stopped watch will attempt to run or start going, if a dab of oil is put on the pallets.

I've never seen any watch or clock run better without oiled pallet faces.

6. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Including dead-beat escapements? I thought oil was verboten on those.

Hmmm.

Mark Kinsler

7. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Its all about removing friction. If one part slides on another part, the assembly will benefit from or may require lubrication. However, lubrication can create friction itself under the right conditions. For example, in a watch where very little power is supplied, lubrication that is to heavy or to thick of viscosity, will increase resistance to the point the movement may not run. The manufacturer of the movement and manufacturer of the lubrication will have the most experience with this issue and their recommendations should be followed for best results.

On common clock movements with steel verges, they should also be returned to original condition for proper operation that includes sharp release edges for maximum impulse strength. Personally, I grind all steel surfaces as originally done by the manufacturer to restore proper operation.

Jerry Kieffer

8. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Yes. All this information is sound. The correct lubricant is important. It is wise to examine the pallet faces and return them to original condition as part of every service.

9. djstucker

NAWCC Member

May 28, 2016
    Engineer
    Valencia, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all for confirming.
    I battled this problem for months that turned out to be the fact that the escapement was not oiled. And yes, absolutely agree with making sure the pallet faces are maintained.

10. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have two S. Thomas 68 movements… deadbeat escapements and jeweled pallets. They both run way happier with a hint of oil on the pallets.