Brocot Escapement Adjustment

ssohner

NAWCC Member
Dec 19, 2015
Country
Region
The clock I am currently working on has and exposed pin pallet escapement (Brocot?) with some sort of composite or garnet jewels. Both jewels came loose from the pallet body and I have cleaned up the old shellac and secured them with new shellac. I have adjusted them to the point where they function and appear to work correctly. This is a link to a slow motion video showing the escapment in action:

In order to get the movement to function, I had to adjust the jewels in such a manner that they are not true to the holes in the pallet body. They are tilted as seen in the attached photos from both the side view and the top view. The consequence is that if the escape wheel moves in or out along its axis, the escapment no longer functions correctly. The movement has been working continuously for the past 2 days while attempting the set the correct rate, so the wheel does not have any temdency to move in its current configuration. But I suspect this is not an acceptable long term solution.

I would appreciate any thoughts regarding how to correct this?

Steve Sohner

DSC_0263.JPG DSC_0264.JPG

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
You have a good bit more drop into the exit pallet. Straightening the pallets to be in line with the arbor in both plains may help. Also, your end play may be excessive, should be about 10 thou. Overall, your not that far off. Nice vid.
Willie X

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Donor
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
Please tell us what you did. I'm working on my first Brocot escapement. I have it on the test stand and it's running strong. It has a large drop on the entrance side. I'm not sure how to correct it. Do I need to turn the pallet a little to make the tooth land differently on the pallet? Thanks, Danny

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
It is slightly out of beat in the video. Set the beat by carefully bending the crutch without putting force on the pallets. It looks pretty good to me otherwise.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

All Online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions