Clock Open Help Brocot Anchor Escapement.

Discussion in 'Parts Wanted' started by Anchor, Apr 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Anchor

Anchor Registered User

May 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dear Members.
    I am currently looking to obtain a pair of pallet stones/jewels, with a diameter of 2.50 mm.
    Could anyone help?
    Kind Regards.
    Anchor.

Anchor Pallet IMG_20200430_102847.jpg

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Anchor,

Cousins in the UK sell them.

Regards,

Graham

3. Anchor

Anchor Registered User

May 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #3 Anchor, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Hello Graham.
    Many thanks for your kind reply.
    If 2.50 mm diameter was not available, would 2.25 mm still work?
    Additionally if I set the anchor pallet stones, as per attachment, would the 2.25 mm pallet jewels work with the escape wheel.
    Many thanks.
    John.

Anchor Image IMG_20200430_172112.jpg

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi John,

When last I looked, they had 54 in stock, so you shouldn't need to try a smaller size. Have you still got a stone, or were they both missing as your picture shows? If you've measured the holes accurately, that should be good enough. The diameter of the stone does have some effect on the action of the escapement, and a smaller stone than the size it was designed for may be a problem, since these are very sensitive to the geometry being correct.

Regards,

Graham

5. Anchor

Anchor Registered User

May 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Good afternoon Graham.
    The stones were missing from the word go. Also the escape wheel teeth had damage( Bent Over). I have managed to straighten the teeth to a good standard. I will look up Cousins as you suggested.
    Regards.
    John.

6. Anchor

Anchor Registered User

May 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Many thanks Graham, 2.5 mm Brocot anchor Pallet stones ordered from Cousins.
    This will be my first time to fix a set of pallet stones, with Shellac on a Brocot Anchor. Would you have any pointers for a complete Novice?
    I have a pallet stone tray on a handle, but that's more in line with pocket watches.
    Regards.
    John.

7. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi John,

The thing to avoid with shellac is overheating it so that it burns, so don't apply any heat directly to the shellac. If you let it do that, it ceases to stick! For something the size of your anchor, one method is to use a soldering iron and apply it to just the socket area, checking to see when the brass is warm enough so that the shellac just melts on it. When it does, place a chip of shellac, (from stick or flake shellac), in the hole and then set the stone in place. Once the heat is removed, it should harden quite quickly.

Another method which doesn't involve any heat, is to dissolve some shellac in a little meths so that it forms a stiffish liquid, and use that to fix the stones in place. It will take longer to set, but it's just as effective when it does.

It sometimes happens that the holes in the anchor are slightly larger than the working diameter of the stones, so make sure that you position the flats correctly to start with, as per your illustration in post #3, and then see how the escapement behaves. If the curved surfaces of the pallets are at all rough, it helps if you polish them, because that's where the escape teeth engage, not the flats.

Regards,

Graham

8. Anchor

Anchor Registered User

May 14, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Graham.
    Many thanks for your time and advice.
    I really like the idea of dissolving the shellac with an amount of meths.
    I feel that this approach will give me a far better control over the setting of the stones as per the illustration. While using this method would you be able to suggest any type of surface material, on which to work?
    Regards.
    John