Brocot adjustment question

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
Hello

I have a clock with a Brocot adjustment at the top of the dial. I've tried many types of keys, but the stem (not sure of the correct terminology) doesn't protrude far enough for a key to get a grip. There isn't enough space around the stem for a key to slide in. Is there an easy way to move the adjustment stem forward?

Thanks for any info - Rt

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Hello

I have a clock with a Brocot adjustment at the top of the dial. I've tried many types of keys, but the stem (not sure of the correct terminology) doesn't protrude far enough for a key to get a grip. There isn't enough space around the stem for a key to slide in. Is there an easy way to move the adjustment stem forward?

Thanks for any info - Rt
The short answer is no. Timesavers www.timesavers.com sells double ended two-part keys where you select a winding key and a smaller rate adjuster end to "make up your own key". If you have access to a lathe, or a friend who has one, you should be able to turn down outside diameter of that part of the key so that it will fit in the hole.

Bob C.

instarclock

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Galveston
Country
Region
Thanks for the info. I bought a ring of assorted-sized keys from Timesavers a while back, but they were too thick. The lathe sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try.

Rt

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Ya don't even need a lathe for this simple operation. A drill press or hand drill would work just fine. Jes' thin it down until it fitz!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian Cooney
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller