Brocot adjuster?

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Is there any general rule-of-thumb for the amount of rate adjustment that comes with a full turn of the Brocot adjuster in your average shelf/mantel clock? A minute a day? A minute a week? Or no general rule at all.

bangster

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
I can't answer your question bangster, but I can say that none I have had ever adjust the same amount per turn. In fact, I fit an adjustable pendulum bob to the American mantel clocks I have that are fitted with Brocot adjuster. I find them very poor at making fine adjustments. Or maybe it's just me who is poor at using them:bang:

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I have never seen a general rule of thumb but they are for fine adjustment so unlikely to correct one that is running a minute a day out. I suspect the only way to find out is to to test it.

Ralph B

Nov 25, 2006
Napier, New Zealand
Country
If they were to be consistant, on French clocks anyway, each adjuster would need to be different for each of the many different pendulum lengths found.

This could be the case, I haven't looked too closely.
I'd be surprised though.

Ralph B.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Yeah, I figured that just MAYBE there'd be a rule of thumb, since most American clocks that havum have a pendulum length around 5". But I didn't hold out much hope.

bangster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmo309
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller