• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

British Made clock with low amplitude

Richard Hadden

NAWCC Member
Oct 16, 2019
This is a Duponic clock made for Dubros stores in Britain. The movement is stamped British Made clock and I think it was made by Enfield. Nice mantel clock but very low amplitude that was very difficult to get into beat. After cleaning and re-bushing it runs about the same. It may need a new time side mainspring but my research on the forum lead me to try adjusting the movable bracket that holds the pivot for the pallet arbor as it looks like the pallets don't go very far past the tips of the escape wheel. I scribed the bracket so that it would go back where it was and I've now lowered it just a very tiny bit and it seems to have helped. The movement also seems to be very sensitive to being in the proper vertical position as well as being level side to side. I'll post a few pictures and videos. I'd like opinions of anything further that I should try, particularly the mainspring. It would seem that an older and pretty much set mainspring should be replaced to supply the correct power but from what I've read it has more effect on the length of time that the clock will run rather than the quality of amplitude, etc.. Right now it only runs 3-4 days and only rewinds about half the number of turns that it would from a completely let down state. Youtube links are, and as always thanks to the knowledgeable members of this forum.

Rich H

DSC02432.JPG DSC02434.JPG

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
your videos are 'unavailable'.... did you publish them for all?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
All the screw heads are buggered up. That's usually means it jas been worked on a lot.

Did you remove and service the springs?

The springs don't wear out but they can be an improper replacement. Is it very easy to wind? A clock like this would likely have a .016 to .017" spring.

If the spring is close to this range, a power loss or escapement defect would be the likely culprits. Also: a bent pivot, loss of end-shake anywhere, new bushings to tight, crutch to tight, leader not aligned with crutch eye, are just a few things that can cause your problem.

Willie X

Richard Hadden

NAWCC Member
Oct 16, 2019
Thanks Willie,
I didn't do the screw head damage but noticed it. I did clean and lubricate the main springs. It is easy to wind starting from being let down all the way. End shake looked good on all the arbors and all wheels spun free. I didn't find any bent pivots Crutch leader is well aligned in the eye. I checked all these things from older posts on the forum. I neglected to measure the spring strength.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Your clock is a deadbeat design but it looks like the pallets have been reground or replaced with a recoil style?

I can't see the pallet angles that well but the teeth are dropping onto the entrance pallet about 4x what they should be. You could try lowering the pallet arbor a bit to see what happens.

If you could get a slow-mo video through that plate cutout, that would settle things.

Pretty sure the escapement is going to be your problem. Repairing it could be difficult, unless you can get a replacement pallet assembly.

Others may see things that I'm missing ...

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Willie has a good eye! Yes, someone has replaced the verge, and didn't know how to make it. I can see that you are getting zero impulse on the exit because there is no impulse face on that side. I can't see the other side, but assume it doesn't have one either. Impulse angles have to be 1.5° on both sides.
If I were you, I'd contact David LaBounty and have him make a new verge for you. He does great work. He'll need some information from you, so contact him by phone.
He does check in here from time to time, but might not see this thread. Tell him about it so he can see what you have.

Last edited:

disciple_dan

NAWCC Member
Mar 10, 2016
Plant City
Country
Region
The teeth on that EW appear to be straight. I've never seen an EW that didn't have angled teeth, Which I can recall. That wouldn't give much impulse, would it? Danny

Richard Hadden

NAWCC Member
Oct 16, 2019
Thanks shutterbug and Willie & Dan. It sounds logical that the pallets were replaced as that would explain the damaged screw heads too. I'll contact Mr LaBounty to see what can be done. The escape wheel does have angled teeth, I think my video angle may be throwing you off. When I examined the escape wheel teeth I noticed that there was wear on only one side of the teeth, all the way around, as if the pallet were bent and the face was not lining up squarely on the teeth. Lowering the pallet arbor did help somewhat.

Rich H

Escape Tooth Wear.jpg Pallet.jpg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
On a side note, the pendulum has a split hook, but the leader end appears to be for a single hook. Photos are too grainy to be sure. Possibly not the correct pendulum?

Richard Hadden

NAWCC Member
Oct 16, 2019
tracer, You are correct about the split hook but I don't know if the leader is for that style or a single hook. The hole in the leader is rectangular in shape and the split hook just makes it into the hole. I will post a better picture of the leader. It may not be the right pendulum and thank you for the suggestion. I found a picture I had of a Perivale British clock that is the same design and you can see the hole in the leader. Thanks again for that info.

Rich H

perivale.jpg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
This is the hook for all the Perivale leaders I’ve seen, but the split hook on yours certainly won’t stop it from working.
68BFD5D7-7938-424E-9C27-11DA1744B73B.jpeg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
After taking a closer look at your pendulum, I see it is the correct one, similar in design to Perivale’s but not exactly the same. My mistake.

Richard Hadden

NAWCC Member
Oct 16, 2019
After doing research on google images of Perivale/British Made clocks I found all the pendulums to be the same too. Thanks again.

Rich H

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
After doing research on google images of Perivale/British Made clocks I found all the pendulums to be the same too. Thanks again.

Rich H
I see a difference in the shape of the rating nut. Perivale is diamond shaped, while the one on yours is round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenvu01
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-