British Long Case Clocks

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Frank Menez, Aug 28, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Frank Menez

Frank Menez Registered User
    Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JH
    The following is a list of books that a collector of British Long Case clocks should have. ( This is a partial list of books I have in My Library)

The Grandfather Clock by Edwards
    Grandfather Clocks &Their Cases by Loomes
    Brass Dial Clocks by Loomes
    English Domestic Clocks by Cescinsky & Webster
    Thomas Tompion His Life & Work by Symonds
    The Knibb Family Clockmakers by Lee
    Brittens Old Clocks & Watches
    There are numerous other books on long case clocks that also include other types of timepieces

Frank Menez

2. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    JH
    The following is a list of books that a collector of British Long Case clocks should have. ( This is a partial list of books I have in My Library)

The Grandfather Clock by Edwards
    Grandfather Clocks &Their Cases by Loomes
    Brass Dial Clocks by Loomes
    English Domestic Clocks by Cescinsky & Webster
    Thomas Tompion His Life & Work by Symonds
    The Knibb Family Clockmakers by Lee
    Brittens Old Clocks & Watches
    There are numerous other books on long case clocks that also include other types of timepieces

Frank Menez

3. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Off the top of my head, I would include:

1. The Longcase Clock Reference Book, 2 Vol Set, John Robey ****Especially Important Reference***
    2. Longcase Clock.....Tom Robinson
    3. Early English Clocks....Dawson, Drover & Parks
    4. English 30 Hour Clocks Origin... Darken & Hooper
    5. Watch & Clock makers of the World...Baillie's and Loomes Vol 1 & Vol 2
    6. British Longcase Clocks.....Derek Roberts

There are some new books on Precision Regulators. There will be 3 volumes. Ibelieve 2 are available now.

There are many regional books.

I'll have to think some more about this.....

Ralph

4. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ralph
    After some thought on the subject of horological literature I have come to the conclusion that it is not necessary to own every single book on horology. You can join the AWI and they will lend you most of these books at no cost except return postage. If you are fortunate enough to be near a horological library that would help. Even the public librarys have books on horology. In the furture I plan on listing other books on various timepieces that would help the collectors & students of horology. As a matter of fact I learn something new about horology every day.
    FM

5. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since this is the NAWCC Message Board, it is only fair to point out that all the above books can be borrowed from the NAWCC Library also. Better yet, spend a day in Columbia and browse them and many of the clocks mentioned.

Tom McIntyre
    NAWCC 2nd VP
    Tommy the JOAT's Web

6. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    " After some thought on the subject of horological literature I have come to the conclusion that it is not necessary to own every single book on horology...."

Oh great, now you tell me!

Cheers, Ralph

7. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now, Frank I AM NOT A CLOCK MAN BUT I HAVE A FEW CLOCK BOOKS and will list them for the members if needed; BUT, why is it that ideas come up constantly but no one wants to step up and do or complete the task discussed? (This seems to to take place on just about each and every topic) What is it about people and this MB--are all the folks "walkers and talkers?"

I suggested a multitude of ideas around the CRMI; Wayne Anderson steps up and is running off with the project. The doors get opened and FM steps up and shows up to open the doors ea week. Are there no others?

I suggested many dozens of ideas and issues to the museum director--he listened and agreed but will the malcontents block constructive ideas and answers?

Back to the book list--are the folks really interested or is it just hot air, people who like to see their names in print?

Jon

Jon Hanson, NAWCC #8801
    Founder and President Chapter 149, The Early American Watch Club

8. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank,

Once I suggested a definitions list for the newbie; another time I suggested a list of books for the newbie; another time I suggested alisted repair book section. Recently I suggested an escapement pictorial. All of these ideas were considered great by most BUT NO ACTION WAS TAKEN!

As for lists--THEY NEEDS TO BE CONSOLIDATED and listed in an easy axcess area in full view for the reader!

Jon

Jon Hanson, NAWCC #8801
    Founder and President Chapter 149, The Early American Watch Club

9. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Frank,

I guess the next question is "quest for knowledge" in what area??

Makers?
    Origins?
    Period?
    Technical Mechanical? Repair?
    History?
    Art?

etc.

If makers index were the start,..it could be:

1. Baillies....Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World
    2. Loomes....Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World
    3. Tardy...Dictionnaire des Horlogers Francais
    4. Spittlers & Bailey...American Clckmakers & Watchmakers
    5. a.Drost....New Jersey Clock & Watchmakers
    b.Gibbs....Pennsylvania Clock and watch makers.
    c.Roberts...Connecticut Clockmaking
    d.Parsons...New Hampshire Clocks
    6. Morpurgo.....Dizionario degli Orologiai Italiani
    7. Mercer....Chronometer Makers of the World
    8. Abeler's....Meister der Uhrmacherkunst
    9. Tran du Ly's series of books.
    10.Palmers, Diston & Bishop, etc....
    11.Brittens...Old Clocks & Watches and Thier makers.
    12.Kochman...Clock & Watch Trademark Index of European Origin.
    13.Foley...Willard's Patent Timepiece's, has some great maker info, not found anywhere else...at least easily.

Not necessarily in the order above.

That can be a start...

Ralph

10. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ralph
    I wanted to mentioned two great books you listed that I have .

Clock & Watch Trade Mark Index of European Origin by Kochman. ( When you want to know who made that timepiece & you have a trade marks this is the book)

Willard's Patent Timepieces. (This is one beautiful book with gorgeous pictures)

Frank

11. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

Frank and Ralph, thank you so much for contributing your lists of books on British long case clocks. This is a subject that hasn't previously been covered on the horological books forum. I know somebody is going to appreciate what you've done.

By the way, a few years ago I acquired an early 20th century British long case clock. As with many of the mass produced ones, it's anonymous. It's six feet tall and says 'Made in England' on the silvered dial. Could you recommend a book for me to learn more about it?

Regards,
    Mike

[This message was edited by Mike Kearney on August 30, 2003 at 18:37.]

12. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike Kearney

I have not seen a book that covers 20th Century British long case clocks I guess they have not been around very long. If I discover info on this area I will let you know. Perhaps Ralph has seen publications that cover 20th Century long case clocks.

Frank

13. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Possibly Tran Du Ly's book "Longcase Clocks and Standing Regulators, Part 1 - Machine Made Clocks"
    may have something in it.

Ralph

14. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Jon,

Yes, please post your list of books.

Thanks, Ralph

15. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ralph

Another list of useful books I have in my library.

Watch & Clock Encyclopedia by DeCarle
    Watch & Clockmakers Hand book, Dictionary & Guide by Britten
    Practical Clock Repairing by DeCarle
    Clock Cleaning & Repairing by Jones
    The Grandfather Clock Maintenance Manual by Vernon

Clock Types by Tyler
    20th Century Modern Clocks by Stein
    The Craft of the Clockmaker by Tyler
    English Church Clocks by Beeson
    Timex A Co. & its Community by McDermott
    Selling The True Time by Bartky

FM

16. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ralph

Here are some horological books that may be of interest to those who collect British Provincial Clocks

North Country Clocks by Reid
    Cornish Clocks by Brown
    Suffolk Clocks & Clockmakers by Miller/Hagger
    Clock Making In Oxfordshire by Beeson
    ( I have these, however there are numerous other regional books)
    FM

17. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here are some more focused books.

1. Crafts of Franklin County......Bowers
    2. Vermont Clock & Watch Makers, Siversmiths and Jewelers.......Carlisle
    3. Lancaster County Clocks & Clockmakers...Wood/Kramer
    4. Clock and Watchmakers of Lancaster County....Wood
    5. Connecticut Clockmakers of the 18th Century....Hoopes
    6. Dixie Clockmakers........Gibbs
    7. Pennsyvania Clockmakers and Allied Crafts...Whisker
    8. Pennsyvania Clocks and Clockmakers....Eckhardt
    9. Chester County Clocks and Their Makers...James
    10. Buckeye Horology....Gibbs

adding to the English side..

1. Continental and American Skeleton Clocks...Roberts
    2. British Skeleton Clocks....Roberts
    3. Clock & Watch Making in Colchester
    4. Shropshire Clock and Watchmakers....Elliot
    5. Glochester Clock and Watch Makers...
    6. Yorkshire Clockmakers....Loomes

Ralph

18. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #18 Fortunat Mueller-Maerki, Sep 4, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Here is a list of 57 British regionalhorological books from my library(and I know more exist):
    (the moral of the story is: There allways is another book to list, the difficult part is dicerning what is of value to who!! ;) ;)

AuthorLastName AuthorFirstName Title Subtitle EditionYearAndNo Notes SubjectsKeywords CodeFMM
    Appleby Keith Clockmakers of Cheshire 1999 regional listing of Cheshire UK clockmakers Cheshire UK geo-uk-reg
    Bates Keith Clockmakers of Northumberland and Durham 1980, 1st edition wxhaustive, illustrated, large format monograph on regional clockmakers in Northumberland and Durham and their clocks, genaology, index Northumberland Durham clockmakers geo-uk-reg
    Beeson C.F.C. Clockmaking in Oxfordshire 1400 - 1850 1989, 3rd enlarged edition history of Clockmaking in Oxfordshire with a substantive name index of makers oxfordshire england geo-uk-reg
    Bellchamber J.K. Somerset Clockmakers 1986 reedition of AHS Monograph No.4 Somerset UK Regional directory of Clockmakers geo-uk-reg
    Bellchamber J.K. Somerset Clockmakers AHS Monograph No.4 1968, 1st edition illustrated Somerset UK regional directory of Clockmakes geo-uk-reg
    Beney David R. Beaminster Clocks and their makers 1996, 1st edition local british listing of clockmakers and their output in the twn of Beaminster Beaminster geo-uk-reg
    Bird Clifford Norfolk & Norwich Clocks and Clockmakers 1996, 1st edition clocks and clockmakers in Norfolk/Norwitch England, map, index, illustrated Norfolk Norwitch England makers clocks geo-uk-reg
    Brown Colin Clockmakers [The..] of Llanrwst Pre-Industrial Clockmaking in a Welsh Maket Town 1993, 1st edition Book on one towns' clockmaker in Wales, illustrated, indexed Wales Llanrwst geo-uk-reg
    Brown H. Miles Cornish Clocks and Clockmakers 1970, 2nd edition small format regional ornish England overview of clockmakers and their clocks english cornish Cormwall clocks geo-uk-reg
    Clerkenwell Clerkenwell Historic Trail 1998 London Clerkenwell geo-uk-reg
    Coventry Watch Museum Moments in Time The History of the Coventry Watch Industry Vol.I 1995 Coventry england watchmaking history regional geo-uk-reg
    Dowler Graham Gloucestershire Clock and Watch Makers 1984, 1st edition clock and watchmakers in Gloucestershire England, map, index, illustrated Glouchestershire geo-uk-reg
    Elliott Douglas J. Shopshire Clock and Watchmakers 1979, 1st edition Directory of recorded clock and watchmakers in the Shropshire region of England Shropshire England makers geo-uk-reg
    Green F.H. Old English Clocks beeing a collectors observations on some seventeens century clocks 1931, first edition, bibliophile edition Describing a collection of britisjh clocks collection england clocks geo-uk-reg
    Greenlaw Johanna Swansea Clocks Watch and Clockmakers of Swansea and Distict (Llanelli, Llandeilo, Neath) 1997, 1st edition regional Swansea UK listing of watch and clockmakers Swansea UK geo-uk-reg
    Hewitt P.A. Turret Clocks in Leicestershire and Rutland Leicestershire Researched - Leicestershire Museums Publication No.128 1994, 1st edition illustrated monograph and directory of tiurretclocks and their makers in Leicestershire UK Leicestershire Turret Tower clock geo-uk-reg
    Hughes Roy G. Clockmakers & Watchmakers of Derbyshire 1998, 1st edition clock and watchmakers in Derbyshire England, index, illustrated Derbyshire England makers geo-uk-reg
    Linnard William Cardiff Clocks A Comprehensive Account of Watch and Clockmakers in Cardiff, the Valleys and the Vale of Glamorgan 1999, 1st edition list of makers in the Cardiff England area, plus 43 page facsimile repro of Catalog with prices ca 1900 of Hqwell Morgan of Blaengarw Cardiff EWales Makers geo-uk-reg
    Loomes Brian Yorkshire Clockmakers 1972, 1st Edition Regional List of Yorshire Clockmakers Region Yorkshire Clock Maker List geo-uk-reg
    Loomes Brian Westmoreland Clocks and Clockmakers 1974, 1st edition small format regional Westmaoreland England overview of clockmakers and their clocks english Westmoreland clocks geo-uk-reg
    Loomes Brian Lancashire Clocks and Clockmakers 1975, 1st edition small format regional Lancashire England overview of clockmakers and their clocks english Westmoreland clocks geo-uk-reg
    Loomes Brian Clockmakers of Northern England 1997 exhaustive regional Northern England overview of clockmakers and their clocks english northern clocks geo-uk-reg
    Mather Harold H. Clock and Watchmakers of Nottinghamshire 1979, 1st edition regional Nottighamshire listing of makers nottinghamshire england makers geo-uk-reg
    McKenna Clockmakers & Watchmakers of Central England Birmingham, Coventry, Warwickshire, Worcestershire & Straffordshire 2002, 1st edition comprehensive, illustrated listing of horologists in Central Engand Central England Birmingham, Coventry, Warwickshire, Worcestershire & Straffordshire geo-uk-reg
    McKenna Joseph Warwickshire - Watch & Clockmakers of the British Isles 1436-1900 1988, 1st edition regional Warwikshire UK listing of horological tradesman Warwickshire uk geo-uk-reg
    McKenna Joseph Birmningham - Watch & Clockmakers of the British Isles 1547-1900 1988, 1st edition regional Birmingham UK listing of horological tradesman Birmingham UK geo-uk-reg
    Montes Mary Brown Boots in Earlsdon A Study of a Watchmaking Community - its Rise and Fall 1989 a loca Earlsdon, Coventry UK study of local watchmaker community, beeing Coventry & Warwickshire Pamphlet No. 15 Earlsdon Coventry watchmakers geo-uk-reg
    Moore A.J. Clockmakers [The..} of Bristol 1650-1900 Together with a suplementary Listof the Clockmakers of Bath 1650 to 1900 1999, 1st edition comprehensive monograph and listing on the clockmakers of Bristol and Bath Bristol Bath Region England clockmakers geo-uk-reg
    Moore A.J. Clockmakers [The..] of Summerset 1650-1900 1998, 1st edition comprehensive monograph and listing on the clockmakers of Summerset UK Summerset Region England clockmakers geo-uk-reg
    Moore Nicholas Chester Clocks and Clockmakers 1980s? Regional list of clockmakers Chester England geo-uk-reg
    Norgate J.&M. Dunfermline Clockmakers 1982 local scottish book on clockmakers in Dunfermline scottland clockmakers Dunfermline geo-uk-reg
    Norgate Martin Directory of Hampshire Clockmakers 1993, 1st edition comprehensive compilation of Clockmakers active in Hamshire UK hampshire list clockmakers geo-uk-reg
    Ovens Robert Time in Rutland - A History and Gazeter of the Bells, Scratch Dials, Sundials and Clocks of Rutland Rutland Record Series No. 4 -= Rutland Local History & Record Society 2002, 1st edition exhaustive regional history of timekeeping in Rutland UK Rutland UK geo-uk-reg
    Parker Paul Clockwise around Wales A Horological Miscellany 1995, 1st edition clockmaking in wales, includes index of makers wales makers geo-uk-reg
    Parker Paul Clockmaking in the Vale of Clwyd 1993, 1st edition clockmaking in clwyd wales, includes index of makers clwyd wales makers geo-uk-reg
    Pearson Michael Kent Clocks and Clockmakers 1997, 1st edition clocks and clockmakers in Kent England, map, index, illustrated Kent England clock makers geo-uk-reg
    Pearson Michael Kent Clocks and Clockmakers 1997, 1st edition clocks and clockmakers in Northern England, index, illustrated Northern England clock makers geo-uk-reg
    Peate Iorwerth Clock and Watchmakers in Wales 1945, 1st edition first monograph on horology in wales, illustrations 7 plates wales geo-uk-reg
    Penfold John B. Clockmakers of Cumberland 1977, 2nd Edition very rare regional UK overview of clockmakers of the Cumberland area Cumberland clockmakers UK geo-uk-reg
    Pollard David Astronomical Clockmaker [The…] Edward Cockey and other Warmister Horologists 1998, 1st edition 100 pages on Edward Cockey clockmaker 1669-1768, plus 100 pages on Warmisnter Weatch and Clockmakers and 100 pages on Warmisnter Public Clocks Warmisnter Cockey geo-uk-reg
    Ponsford C.N. Clocks and Clockmakers of Tiverton 1982, 2nd edition with supplement Illustrated regional UK listing of clockmaers of Tiverton and their clocks Tiverton clockmakers clocks UK geo-uk-reg
    Ponsford Clive N. Devon Clocks and Clockmakers 1985 regional listing and history of clockmaking and clockmakers in Devon England,Bibliography Devon England Reference geo-uk-reg
    Reid C.L. North Country Clockmakers 1981, 1st edition regional northern English directory of clockmakers northern England geo-uk-reg
    Snell Michel Clocks & Clockmakers of Salisbury 600 years oif skill and invention 1986, 1st edition heavily b&w illustrated volume on Salisbury clockmakers and their output, index, glossary Salisbury geo-uk-reg
    Stuart Susan E. Biographical List of Clockmakers Lancashire and South Westmorland 1680-1900 1999, 1st edition Regional listing of clockmakers Lancashire and Westmoreland United Kingdom Lancashire geo-uk-reg
    Treherne A. A. Nantwich Clockmakes Catalog of Clocks and Watches exhibited at Nantwich Museum with biographies of all known Nantwich .. 1970s? Half describes 29 horolgical items in local Nantwich museum and half is local listing of makers Nantwich United Kingdom geo-uk-reg
    Tribe Tom Dorset Clocks and Clockmakers with a Supplement on the Channel Islands 1981, 1st edition regional illustrated monograph on the clocks and clockmakers of Dorset UK Dorset Chanell Islands geo-uk-reg
    Tyler E.J. Clockmakers [The…] of Hertfordshire AHS, New Series Publications No. 1 1997. 1st edition regional Hertfordshire england listing of clockmakers Hertfordshire england makers geo-uk-reg
    Tyler E.J. Clockmakers [The…] of Sussex 1970s? regional listing of clockmakers for Sussex County United Kingdom Sussex England Reference geo-uk-reg
    Walker J.E.S. Hull and East Riding Clocks and Watches and their London origins including a Directory of their Makersa before 1900 1981 Catalog of regional english exhibition and local directory of makers Hull East Riding Makers Clocks Directory geo-uk-reg
    Whitelock Brenda Timepieces of Newcastle 1992, 1st edition Illustrated monograph on the poblic and tower clocks of Newcastle UK Newcastle public tower clocks geo-uk-reg
    Whyte Donald Scottish Clock & Watchmakers 1453-1900 A listing of 5'500 craftsman 1996, 1st edition, 2nd printing comprehensive list of 5500 scottish horologists scotland makers scottish geo-uk-reg
    Whyte Donald Clock and Watch Makers of Aberdeen and North East Scotland 1453 - 1900 2002, 1st edition Regional listing of scottisch clockmakers central Aberdeen Scotland geo-uk-reg
    Whyte Donald Clock and Watch Makers of Central Scottland - Sterlinshire, Clackmannanshire, Kinross-Shire, Fyfe 1537-1900 - Central Scotland Family History Society Vol. M4 2002, 1st edition Regional listing of scottisch clockmakers north east and aberdeen scotland geo-uk-reg
    Whyte Donald Clock and Watch Makersof Glasgow and the West of Scotland 1603 - 1900 2001, 1st edition listing of clockmakers in Glasgow and Western scotlan Glasgow Scotland geo-uk-reg
    Wilbourne A.S.H. Lincolnshire Clock, Watch and Barometer Makers 2001, 1st edition regional illustrated monograph on clock and watchmakers of Linconshire, mith listing oif craftsman Lincolshire geo-uk-reg

Fortunat F. Mueller-Maerki, pob 386, Sussex NJ 07461

NAWCC Life # 174
    Chair, NWCM Library and Research Center Committee

You can reach me at horology@horology.com

19. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ralph

Your list just about covers the British regional clock/watch area. This list of books should provide info on those makers not listed in the standard references.

FM

20. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Thanks fot the credit....but it was Fortunat's list. :)

Cheers, Ralph