Brinsmaid Bros & Co Burlington VT

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Kevin Neathery, Aug 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kevin Neathery

Kevin Neathery Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Kevin Neathery, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    After a long day of waiting and the post office teasing me with lies of delivery times.....it arrived. The Brinsmaid fusee, with a rather obvious thud in the box as I moved it...that made me worry. Plenty of bubble wrap, a black box, and a very worn envelope were inside. The thud was the watch moving in the black box.

I had a look in the box and was very pleased. Nothing looked broken and with a little turn of the wrist it started ticking. I quickly opened the back and gave it a wind up. Happily ticking along I had a look at the worn, soiled, and tattered envelope addressed to the previous owner from the Vermont Historical Society. I knew there was a letter but this was more. Inside were 4 pages that were copied from a book, the letter, and a copied picture of a pocket watch. This was not the looks of something someone just had kicking around. This was someone who made a good attempt at trying to find out the history to the watch.

I made a copy of all the papers and put them safely back in the envelope. I then took the pictures you see below. The watch has a stop lever around 7-8. This will stop the 4th wheel and thus the watch. Looking inside I see that parts are nicely finished and polished. The gold balance is in excellent shape and it has a nice slow beat. The case has multiple markings for maker, Chester, sterling, and the year mark 1850. Now one mark I did not expect to see was a 2 oz mark. I don't have a large deal of experience with fusee watches but I know the usual ounce marks on silver American cases.

One fun thing in the pages I read that came with it was about how the store was saying they had a recent importation of gold and silver English lever and gold and silver Geneva pocket watches. There is a statement that they also have the same quality movements that they would put in your choice of case. This sounds like a jobber. There is also a mention "Their watches were adapted to run well at sea and on railroads". This was in the Burlington Courier 12/8/1853.

The one mystery I cant get my hand around is the name on the dial. "Brinsmaid Bros & Co" with the s on bros being small and underlined with 2 dots. Now from 1850-1854 they were "Brinsmaid, Bro & Co". I find no mention of where "Bros" was used in their naming on any products, advertisements, or articles. I don't have a large number of Brinsmaid watches to compare with and the hunt is slow and thin. So it may be one thing that we may never know.

I sent out a letter to the previous owner listed on the envelope. This was just a stab in the dark but worth a try. Tom Bumbaugh, the previous owner of the watch, gave me a call a few days later. He purchased the watch about 40 years at a garage sale in NW Toledo in an area called Devil's Lake. It was in a cigar box with a bunch of dollar watches. He picked it up for $15 and sent it to a reputable watchmaker in NJ to restore. He was under the impression the watch was made in 1848 but he did not know the hallmark was for Chester and the M was for 1850. This is the beauty of this hobby. Each person, if they choose, can research and improve the known history of a watch. We each add something to that history. I'm trying to figure out who in NJ did the restore on it. Every little piece of the puzzle goes in the file I have for it. The best thing though is how happy he was that it is in the hands of a collector.

20190504_173755.jpg

20190504_173808.jpg

20190504_173822.jpg

20190504_173911.jpg

20190504_174019.jpg

20190504_174043.jpg

20190504_174159.jpg

20190504_174220.jpg

20190504_174247.jpg

20190504_174254.jpg

20190504_174831.jpg

viclip, musicguy and Keith R... like this.
  2. Kevin Neathery

NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Want to thank Keith R for pointing out the case was made by Ralph Samuel.

I think the JB mark is for James Brinsmaid. The SLS is still unknown to me.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I'm probly iggerant, but I don't see an "SLS" mark. In your 4th attachment, I do see what seems to be "2LS." Is that the one you mean?

4. Kevin Neathery

NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hmmm...It does look like a 2LS. I will look closer at home. 2LS....SLS, I still have no clue as to its meaning.

5. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kev......2LS sounds like a case makers mark. Not much recorded on these various craftsman.

Keith R...

6. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Stuff Kevin probably already knows:
    he jewelry house of Brinsmaid & Hildreth, of 99 Church
    street, is like a city landmark, and is the oldest of its kind in Burlington. It
    was established by Abram Brinsmaid in the year 1793, and during this length-
    ened period of more than ninety years the reputation of the house for respon-
    sibility and first-class workmanship has never been disputed. By the admittance
    of Moses Bliss as a partner the firm was known prior to 1824 as Brinsmaid &
    Bliss, and has been followed successively by Pangborn & Brinsmaid in 1 841 ;
    Brinsmaid Brothers in 1849; Brinsmaid, Brother & Co. in 1854; and in that
    year the present firm name of Brinsmaid & Hildreth was adopted.
    223587465386_1.jpg

They carry at all times a full and complete stock of foreign and American
    watches, clocks, jewelry of all kinds, silver and silver plated ware, and kindred
    goods, transacting a business that is not only local but extends all over this
    section of the State. The individual names of the proprietors are William
    Brinsmaid and Chester Hildreth.

Kevin Neathery, Keith R... and viclip like this.
  7. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeff is showing the Runner version of an English lever. I have observed most of the
    runners have a split compensated balance wheel like Jeff's, for the American market.

This 1850 hallmarked Maine runner is also in a Ralph Samuel's case.

Kevin's is also 17J, but a conventional train, with a solid gold balance wheel.

Keith R...

100_0919 (800x600).jpg 103_0265 (800x600).jpg

viclip and Kevin Neathery like this.