Brimfield MA. Flea Market

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Robert Ryan, May 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. Robert Ryan

Robert Ryan Registered User

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Headed to Brimfield this weekend...it's a monster flea market...never been. Has anyone had an experience finding good deals or interesting clocks at this affair? There are three different events, May, July and September.

Thanks, Bob

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Where is Brimfield?

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    It's in Brimfield, Massachusetts. Just google Brimfield.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
  5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Steven beat me to it .....AGAIN!

JTD

6. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Enjoy!

I haven’t been in quite a few years now. Still have clocks & other stuff bought there 20-30 years ago.

Its been running all this week.

Happy hunting...wear comfortable walking shoes!

RM

7. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Itinerate clock purveyor and amateur restorer
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There have been some wonderful finds at Brimfield as well as miles of junk. Here is one that was found there years ago. Missing sidearms when found. It was bought for $350 by its current owners. A second diamond head banjo surfaced there perhaps 20 years ago and was also purchased for well under the market, something like $6000 IIRC. Not cheap but it was offered and quickly sold to other clock folks for a multiple of the purchase price and later went to auction and sold for a lot more. But, the miles of junk is almost mind-numbing. We used to go every year but never found anything wonderful for cheap money. But that said, we got some good stuff for reasonable money.

Scan0352.JPG IM000000.jpg

Kevin W. likes this.
  8. Walt Wallgren

Walt Wallgren Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Bay Area, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been to Brimfield 4 times. Never went home empty handed. I was in Boston last week on business. Too bad I couldn't have stayed. Usually 5-6000 sellers. Ya gotta be able to fine SOMETHING! They hold ti 3 times a year: May, July, and September. May is usually the best from what I have heard. July can be too hot and Sept can be rainy. Good luck and enjoy!! and as RM said, make sure you have your walking shoes.

9. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Additional hints....
    • The entire experience can be somewhat overwhelming the first couple of visits. We found it helpful to reference a map and plan each day's parking/visit.
    • As RM said, comfortable walking shoes!
    • A compact rain poncho is very handy if any showers are forecast.
    • A backpack offers a place for snacks or water as well as smaller purchases between trips to the car to unload, and allows you to keep your hands free to check out the next purchase - or to pull out your wallet.
    • Last, but not least, hand sanitizer or individually packaged wipes for hand washing are helpful since some of the stuff is definitely not pristine.

We used to go every year, and like others have mentioned, we never came home empty-handed. Because of distance and transportation costs, we didn't buy many clocks. There are always interesting things to see and people to talk with. Have fun!

10. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    DUH!!! I’m a dummy. I didn’t read the title I guess......Brimfield, MA.

11. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    So, any luck??

RM

12. Robert Ryan

Robert Ryan Registered User

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Brimfield was overwhelming...hard to describe...2 miles of venders....some junk...some not. My son and his lady did quite well getting some artwork and he collects cast iron skillets, of which there was an amazing amount.

Clocks....not so much....there some tambours, some gingerbreads, an OG or two....some were cheap for good reason and other were what I would call high retail.

I was really hoping for parts...but I didn't see any....but then again we didn't visit every vender....that would be another day.

Had a great time...according to my phone I took 14,407 steps....and it felt like it.

In the end came home empty ....so be it...I have plenty to work at my bench.

~Bob