Brewster and Ingrahams

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
There has been a fair amount written about the paucity of earlier things to be found.

Well, there have been some recent threads devoted to some really wonderful recent finds and acquisitions. Yes, some real rarities and not bargain basement flea market Goodwill finds. But worthwhile learning about even if one will never own similar. I don't know why it would be off-putting or somehow discourage clock collecting as is maintained.

Tonight, I thought I would post a rather humble find that was the result of a Saturday of picking and, I will add, socializing. VERY affordable, a genuine antique, and real part of American clock collecting history, and to me aesthetically pleasing.

It's a standard sized steeple by Brewster and Ingrahams.

DSC00541.JPG

Mahogany veneer on a pine carcass with solid mahogany "steeples". What I liked about the "steeples" is that they haven't had the tips broken off. Except for a couple of minute and hard to see veneer chips, has survived quite well

IMCO, a wonderful original cut and frosted tablet.

DSC00542.JPG

Love the heart shaped wreath.

Nice original white painted dial with black Roman numerals.

DSC00543.JPG

Yes, a witness mark from the original hour hand. No, I'm not going to in-paint it. I especially like the strong signature.

Has a good label:

DSC00544.JPG

One of my favorite things about the clock is that the pressed brass lyre-form pendulum rod decoration is still present. A nice touch.

The movement is signed and has brass ribbed plates. I didn't take a picture as it is a fairly standard and pictured on the Forums and many standard accessible references including the Bulletin. What is a bit unusual, to me, is that if the strike gets out of cinque with the time, it may be advanced by lifting the strike hammer rather than the more standard method of pulling on or lifting a piece of metal wire. The other B&I clock that I recall having that method of strike advancement was one with smooth plates.

It is an 8 day clock with both complete original brass springs which gives the clock a surprising heft. It's the brass springs that make these movements interesting and how they fit into the evolution of manufactured spring driven clocks.

And they're available and affordable.

RM

Full Thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samways
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit