breguet or not

comfish

Feb 24, 2008
I got this watch from my late father along with some other watches and clocks. As the pictures show( I hope) it is marked breguet, but in reading many fake were made. It is also numbered under the face 780. The crystal is missing, any help on where I can get a replacement would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

CZHACK

Apr 28, 2005
Country
Region
Comfish,

Your pocket watch is not a "true Breguet" by the master/his workshop and properly marked. However, it s a qualty timepiece (movement, dial/hands and detail of case). I assume it is in a gold case - any hallmarks? If I understand correctly, these watches were either produced by a legacy firm or produced by other makers and retailed by the firm. Good examples of these watches are held by museums and in collections.Thanks for sharing.

Mike

John Pavlik

NAWCC Member
Dec 30, 2001
Green Bay, Wi
Country
Region
I agree with Mike..it appears that there may have been enamel on the the back cover of the watch, just like on the pendant.. It would be a shame if this was removed somewhere in the past....

comfish

Feb 24, 2008
Thank you for your responses. Kind of what I thought.
Mike, yes it is a gold case, but I cannot find any hallmarks on the case, only some numbers scratched into the case.

John, although the pics don't show it is enameled around the rim around the crystal which is not in good shape.

thanks again

watchfriends

Jul 23, 2007
I think all Breguet "verge escapement watchs" have 5 min and 1 min Repeater movements (till 1791 after he left france) . Breguet was only a short time in Paris and all Movements of him shows a small number 2xx-500 (ever with number). (Your watch is build in swiss i think )

I think this watch is from 1800-1820 :
http://www.bogoff.com/pocket/6031.html
This fine watch was not made by Breguet

ONLY 'forgeries'

here is an original movement:
163.jpg

comfish

Feb 24, 2008
Thank for the reply, well at least it is a nice forgery. thank for the link, I also found a similar watch.
www.bogoff.com/pocket/5906.html
Not sure how to do a clickable link?
It is still nice to have a running watch that is 200yrs old. looking at these similar watches I have to agree with john that there was probaly a enameled scene on the back, it is a shame. thanks again

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudjos
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions