Breaking old glue bonds

Tommy P.

Sep 2, 2020
Oklahoma
Country
Having a topper for a turn of the century Schlenker u. Kienzle wall clock that is clearly sub-standard and does not match the rest of the clock, I'd like to dismantle it, save a few pieces, and build a new one using some of the old parts like the rosettes or medallions.
But before I start trying to slide a scraper under a hundred and fifteen year old piece of walnut and try to pry it off, I figured I'd ask here if any of you have a trick to pass on, such as heat or alcohol or something like that.
Thanks.

IMG-2626.jpg

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
if it is held together with animal glue then it will soften and can be pulled apart by using steam. The trouble is, it may have been subsequently repaired with something other than animal glue and it may be hard to identify the exact glue used. Be careful with the rosettes and other "carved" details. I was caught out by a Vienna topper where these details were made of the early plastic, celluloid, which dissolved into a mush when I was using alcohol to clean the surface.

Tommy P.

Sep 2, 2020
Oklahoma
Country
Thanks,....I've heard you can soften hide-glue with heat, I thought about gently heating the pieces with my heat gun to a little over a hundred and some-odd degrees and gently trying to get a putty knife under one of the larger pieces,...with the exception of one of those awful-looking finials there doesn't seem to be any evidence of a newer glue being used. The only pieces I'd like to salvage are the round pieces and the routed "columns". I'm sure it's not original to the clock case as the stain is much darker and the quality is much lower.

Tommy P.

Sep 2, 2020
Oklahoma
Country
I let some isopropyl alcohol bleed in under everything and it all popped right off. The only damage was to a couple of those "Medallions" that turned out to be made of some kind of clay-like material. I didn't like them anyhow, that topper is not original to the clock so I'm gonna re-build it the way I want. I've looked at scores of Kienzle and similar tops, enough to know that there were hundreds of different offerings made up of all sorts of combinations of pieces of stock. There doesn't appear to be any "rules",...other than the one that says it's gotta look good. It should be fun. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Tim Fitzgerald

Elliott Wolin

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2019
Williamsburg, Virginia
Country
Region
Vinegar (acetic acid) is well known to soften aliphatic resin glue (carpenter's glue, yellow glue).

Concerning hide glue, I found these"

"Vinegar will break down hide glue. It can be soaked into a joint or injected with a syringe. If you use apple cider vinegar it smells good while it works."

and

"Alcohol will crystallize hide glue, enabling the joints to be tapped apart."

And there are many other methods recommended on the web for all types of glues.

Reactions: Tommy P.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
Vinegar (acetic acid) is well known to soften aliphatic resin glue (carpenter's glue, yellow glue).

Concerning hide glue, I found these"

"Vinegar will break down hide glue. It can be soaked into a joint or injected with a syringe. If you use apple cider vinegar it smells good while it works."

and

"Alcohol will crystallize hide glue, enabling the joints to be tapped apart."

And there are many other methods recommended on the web for all types of glues.
I use 190-proof Everclear, injected into the crevices in small quantities with a syringe. Isopropyl alcohol will work, but it contains quite a bit of water, and for the small difference in price, I see no point in risking damage/discoloration from the water.

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
I use 190-proof Everclear, injected into the crevices in small quantities with a syringe. Isopropyl alcohol will work, but it contains quite a bit of water, and for the small difference in price, I see no point in risking damage/discoloration from the water.
Isn't Isopropyl Alcohol 100% pure so it won't have any water?

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
It comes in different strengths, I believe.
Most isopropyl alcohol is 70% alcohol, 30% water. You can buy 90%, for about twice the price(when you can find it), but the corner liquor store will have Everclear(95% alcohol)for $3.00 or less for a half pint. I’ve used that successfully on several projects with no ill effects.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Rubbing alcohol is 70% Isopropyl. Stores that sell farm equipment and tools will have 99% Isopropyl. If you're tempted to try alcohol made for human consumption, be aware that 90 proof is actually 45% alcohol (proof/2=alcohol content). I'm not sure how Everclear is labeled.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
Rubbing alcohol is 70% Isopropyl. Stores that sell farm equipment and tools will have 99% Isopropyl. If you're tempted to try alcohol made for human consumption, be aware that 90 proof is actually 45% alcohol (proof/2=alcohol content). I'm not sure how Everclear is labeled.
It’s 190 proof, 95% alcohol by volume.. Not as good as the 99%, and thanks for the info on that! So, I guess it depends on whether you’re closer to the farm store or the liquor store

DeanT

Mar 22, 2009
Australia
Country
Region
It’s 190 proof, 95% alcohol by volume.. Not as good as the 99%, and thanks for the info on that! So, I guess it depends on whether you’re closer to the farm store or the liquor store
I've got 99% pure isopropyl but it is expensive. But i guess if you only use a small amount that okay.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I reuse mine several times before it gets too dirty or saturated with water to use. That helps defray the cost. At the farm store, I can get a gallon of it for about $30.00.

Cpercy1961

Feb 9, 2021
Country

svenedin

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2010
Surrey
Country
Region
I let some isopropyl alcohol bleed in under everything and it all popped right off. The only damage was to a couple of those "Medallions" that turned out to be made of some kind of clay-like material. I didn't like them anyhow, that topper is not original to the clock so I'm gonna re-build it the way I want. I've looked at scores of Kienzle and similar tops, enough to know that there were hundreds of different offerings made up of all sorts of combinations of pieces of stock. There doesn't appear to be any "rules",...other than the one that says it's gotta look good. It should be fun. Thanks for your help!
Yes I did warn you some of the parts may be made of celluloid. It dissolves in alcohol.....

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, all!

I don't believe celluloid (cellulose nitrate – identical to "guncotton") is soluble in alcohol. I believe you would need acetone. There are plastics that dissolve in alcohol, but I cannot remember which ones they are. They're not very common anymore.

Best regards!

Tim Orr
(Recovering polymer chemist)

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Ooops wrong thread.....disregard......The same situation has been posted in the past. I don’t remember if there was a resolution or not.

Ralph

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cspeed8
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff